nw
Is anyone running PB on a 9 or 10 inch netbook? What is your experience? Is it useable on a small form factor?

Nigel
labische
running on Asus 1000HE
Win7 - 10.1 screen
works great - very usable
labische

Underdog
PB 5.5.1.3b is running smoothly on my ASUS EeePC 1005HA with 10" screen and 1 GB RAM, but I deal with relatively small brains (a reflection of my own?) having no interaction with external email apps like Outlook. The only snag is the Preferences window which can not be resized and, at a standard screen resolution of 1024 x 600, the Title Bar and the OK and Cancel buttons are hopelessly beyond reach of the mouse:

Using ALT-SPACE* to access the window menu to move the window does not help much. The only thing left to do is shoot in the dark with TAB/SHIFT-TAB and hope for the best or change to a virtual resolution of 1024 x 768 to gain access. Pitifully, neither ENTER nor ESC have an effect on this window (unless the OK or Cancel button has the focus, in which case ENTER will work accordingly). I will make a suggestion for remedying this.
-------------------
* You'll have to terminate any running programs, such as Launchy,  which are using this hotkey combination, or redefine the hotkey for the program.
Click image for larger version - Name: OptionsWindowOnEeePC.jpg, Views: 691, Size: 39.83 KB

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

CaptainJustice
I'm running it on a HP Mini 210 HD -- that's the HD screen version with 1366x768 resolution. I got that mini mainly for PB and another set of programs that really needs the 768 pixel height rather than the usual netbook height of 600.

It's the Atom 450 processor with 2gb ram and runs great.

-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
SamsungS10+
Working (still) at https://judgegiljones.com and
Playing at https://captainjustice.net
cd

Hi all,

running PB on a Samsung NC10 with 2gb of Ram. Works like a charm for small to medium-sized brains. I've removed all windows decorations which might get me in trouble sometimes (java-issue, setting  _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dawt.toolkit=sun.awt.motif.MToolkit'" solves most of my issues under Linux) but gives me more screen estate.

Also: The preferences dialog is kind of too large and i need to move the window with Alt-Click-Drag which works fine.

Another issue: When using two screens and dragging PB from the larger to the smaller, it doesn't recalculate sizes and can't be maximized according to the actual screen estate available. Might be a java issue.

Apart from that, it works nicely since i've upgraded to 2gig ram..

Cheers
chris

-- 9.0.250.0 (9.0.250.0) on Mac OS X 10.12.6
   Old enough to remember Natrificial times...
larogers
I run the free version of PB on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10. I use it just to keep track of work meetings and associated projects, contacts etc. It's great for this purpose. PB on the netbook is a little slow to start up. The size of the screen is somewhat confining, but I can carry the netbook in my purse and easily grab it for impromptu meetings, so I think the portability/access is probably worth it. It tend to keep the "plex" very small, and the notes, tabs area very large when working on the Mini. I'm thinking of upgrading to a real version of brain and starting to sync on Webbrain with two other Mac Computers. When this expanded use, and a subsequently larger Brain,  I'm not sure how the small screen and low RAM and processing power will work. We'll see.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software