dlorde Show full post »
rwstout
Just curious. Is this issue solved yet? I encountered the same after installing 6.0.6.4 the other day.

Related might be an issue that I mailed to Support: when a thought has >1 attachments (Pro version), they all disappear from the tab view. Opening the attachment folder shows that they still are there.

In that same situation, it is not possible to rename the thought concerned.
I have a 767 MB Brain with lots of attachments. So I am not very happy right now...
René Stout
Tiendeveen, The Netherlands

TheBrain 7
J-1.7.0
Windows7 Home Premium / Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Moe

rwstout, Thank You for posting. The issue dlorde experienced is different from what you have experienced. In his case, attachments and notes belonging to one Thought in his Brain appeared on different Thoughts. Our engineers have found the problem, but are still investigating what may have caused it to occur in the first place.

For your case, if possible, can you provide us with a Brainzip copy of your Brain and let us know which Thoughts contain the additional attachments which do not show in the Thought (tool)? That would help us in reproducing the issue so that we can provide a fix. I have replied to your support ticket with additional instructions on how to send us a copy of your Brain.

Thanks,
Moe

SmartDust
Hi,

I have the same issue.

What happened is the following:

a) attachments show up under different thoughts
b) attachments dissapear from a thought but are apparently still there because if I want to re-attach them, I get the message that this link is already there and if asked to go to the thought with this link it is the thought where the attachment is missing
c) cross linked attachments. Two thoughts now share the same attachments. If I delete the attachment, it will dissapear from the other thought as well.

I hope it is possible to clean up this mess. I am quite surprised by the level of corruption of the database. 

Siegfried
Moe
Sigfried,

Thank You for posting. From your description, it sounds like you have run into the same issue as dlorde. On the surface it may appear as the same issue however it may be totally different. If you can create a support ticket by emailing support@thebrain.com with a Brainzip copy of your Brain, it will helps us to further check into the issue to confirm it is the same and find what may have caused it to occur in the first place.

Thanks,
Moe
yvsetten
Hi,

Since I have updated to the latest version, I am experiencing the same problems. When multiple attachments are inserted into thought, they become invisible. When I open the folder where they are supposed to be, I can see them, they are just not visible in brain. 

Also, attachments will suddenly appear under different thoughts. 

Please tell us what is happening and how to fix it, I depend on personal brain everyday at work. 

Yolanda
RobvL
Same problem. Attachments pane doesn't change when changing thought, but the attachments seem to be there when I open the containing folder. Rebuild database didn't work. As I use my brain also as a file cabinet, it's useless at the moment.

rob

RobvL
Reinstalled 6.0.6.1. Attachment pane functions normally now. Pffff!
rob

Moe
For those who are experiencing the issue where Thought attachments do not show up in the Thought (tool) in PB 6.0.6.4, please follow the instructions below to resolve the issue until we have put out a patch in an upcoming release of PB.

1. In your Brain go to a Thought which does not contain any attachments.

2. In the Thought Tool (tab), for the sort order drop down select something different then what the sort order is set to then activate a Thought in your Brain which contains attachments, you should now see your attachments.

Thanks,
Moe

MikeA
I opened an archived brainzip (it was zipped with PB 5.5) and found many of thoughts were missing attachments and a number of thoughts contained the attachments of other thoughts. Its a big mess!

Note that I have opened this archived brainzip using the PB 6.0.0.x releases without any problems. I think the first time I noticed this problem is with PB 6.0.6.1-4 releases.

@Moe, I tried the steps you recommended, but it did not work for me.

-Michael
PB 6.0 Pro
JVM 1.6.0.23
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
NeoBrain

Moderators,

I am going to ask this in as polite and well-meaning way I can come up with.  How is it this was missed in the testing of 6.0.6.4?  I am sure it is clear by the amount of activity in this thread that your customers are not happy with this issue.  Now before someone says I am being a bit rough and starts flaming me for speaking out, please remember folks, this is your hard earned knowledge you are trusting to this application.  I am still evaluating on whether or not I will invest in this application as my go-to knowledge management system and thus far I am starting to drift away from it.  I am really liking this application's abilities and elegance but that won't stop me from being concerned over the stability "bumps in the road" I have seen in the few months I have been tracking the different versions that have been released.  Some people are more forgiving than others but it takes time to build trust in an application that handles something important to you.  That trust, unfortunately, does not take very long to waiver and then disappear.

Folks, if you feel concerned in similar fashion as described above then speak up about it.  Don't just wait for a patch and then be worrying about the next issue that will make you wonder if all your data is safe and sound.  You paid for the right to use this application and trust it with your valuable and hard earned data.

Here's me hoping for the best for this great application.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
mcaton
Just to be clear, we've made progress on the issue that dlorde originally posted, but it is still under research.  Rwstout had a separate issue that was recently resolved and will be included in the next build that we release.  MikeA and NeoBrain, please send support@thebrain.com a copy of your .brainzip (and a clear description of the problems you have encountered) for review to see if your issues are related.

Thank you,
Matt

NeoBrain

Matt,

My post above was a question to your team about how this snuck by your testing.  Subtle issues can be illusive and at times can be excused.  When you get this kind of reaction from your customers, it warrants to ask the how and why.

The rest of my post was mostly a statement and plea for everyone who uses this application to speak up more and ask these questions more often to ensure your leadership is aware that quality control should be tightened up more.  This isn't your typical $19.95 application.  When you charge $149.95-$299.95 for a new license (depending on what version you choose), I would think better quality control would be the least one may ask for.

Thank you for requesting a copy of my brainzip, but I have none to offer as I was not reporting an issue.  Until I see more reassuring stability from this application, I don't think I will be entrusting it with my data.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
yvsetten
@moe
Suggestion regarding the files worked, very odd.  

Thanks for now.

dwolfson
I've also been seeing the same behaviour as dlorde - reported it to support around the same time-frame. Recently however, I'm seeing some additional weirdness - moving internal thoughts from one thought to another also does not seem to work consistently - sometimes they disappear entirely... I did try the trick that moe suggested - didn't seem to have an impact on this problem...

Personally, I am considering suspending use of PB unless/until this gets sorted out - With corruption continuing to take place and no view on repair to my existing brain, I don't know that I can afford to continue adding more thoughts and attachments that I might lose.  What do others think?
mcaton
Dan,

We're continuing to research this troublesome issue.  The more examples (brainzips) of the problem that we can explore, the closer we'll get to a solution.  Would you mind sending us a .brainzip of your brain to support@thebrain.com?

Thank you,
Matt Caton
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software