Minduke
OK, so here's a topic that has been bugging me for quite some time and maybe there's a thread already out there but I'm not sure. I've been using PB for close to a year now and it is excellent for my file management. However, I keep playing around off and on with trying to make it work as an infrastructure & network inventory tool with very little success (and no the network brain sample doesn't quite fit the bill).  Here's the deal:  I have an excel workbook w/ about 8 tabs of information that takes awhile to look through but its not impossible.  I want to be able to display that content in a brain to share (I'm not concerned w/ how to import, as I know those techniques already) so it will be more usable than the workbook.  Some of the parameters from the worksheets include: monitoring tool, hostname, target app, vendor, line of business,etc.  Now, some of these may have multiple entries like one monitoring tool could be used to monitor 5 applications for 4 lines of business, etc. 
So if you've made it all the way to here my bottom line question is: can data be viewed better in PB than in everyday excel??

rhodes
I had similar ideas at one stage but gave up when I realized that PB, like others of its kin, is a tree-based view, rather than a grid-based one like Excel. That's one reason why attempts to use PB's plex to create a "timeline" view have not been successful. Another reason might be that there is no horizontal hierarchy similar to the vertical one from parents to children etc.

Now that we can create hyperlinks to thoughts in v6, the only solution that occurs to me is to create a table in a note and populate each cell with a hyperlink to the appropriate thought, creating a defacto spreadsheet. I haven't tried this in v6 as the table function in 5.5 was frustrating to use. But it's a possibility.

A much better solution would be for the developers to come up with a "Grid View" similar to Outline and Expanded view, where thoughts could form a lattice. This would be immensely useful, though outside PB's original design.

Alan Rhodes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software