bmac
I had to start a new brain the other day that would contain some very critical files so I decided to revert to PB3 for the time being (I am currently using PB4 4207).  With this beta version of PB4 I have been noticing some irregular behavior which concerned me (for example, notes appearing in thoughts that were originally written to other thoughts).

I had forgotten how lean and mean personal brain version 3 was.  It loads in less than one second (versus approximately 20 seconds for PB4).  It has a memory footprint of only 15 megs versus over 100 megs for PB4.  Yes, I know, this depends on items stored in the brain. but I ran a simple test: I created new brains in both applications.  Personal brain version 3 took less than five seconds to create a new brain and the footprint was 15 megs.  PB4 took 28 seconds to create a new brain in the footprint was 106 MB .

I'm not suggesting that I would ever totally revert to personal brain version 3, but I am hoping that some work can be performed to streamline PB4.  Even with 2 GB of memory, there are times when I need to close PB4 because, in my opinion, it has a noticeable impact on overall PC performance. Furthermore, I really miss the use of voice dictation when PB4 is running (I'm convinced it has something to do with Java) and I cannot use tablet pen input (the tablet input panel) anywhere within PB4.  These are not issues in version #3.  And, I had forgotten how nice it was to simply drag an Outlook item (e-mail, calendar item, task, etc.) from Outlook into the brain and have it create a copy.  Now, in PB4, when I want to archive a critical Outlook item , I have to first drag it to the desktop to create a .MSG file then from there drag it into the brain.

Just some thoughts from a sometimes frustrated PB4 user.  But don't get me wrong, I do appreciate and use the new functionality of PB4 and I do want to see it prosper.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software