SamCox
Revising an old mini-thread.

PB5.0.1.5 is forgetting notes and discarding internal files.

One friend on this forum suggested that PB5 has exposed a problem in my laptop but without suggesting what that problem might be.

Is anyone else losing notes and/or internal files? Attached files and notes just vanish with no apparent pattern.

My new mode of operating with PB5 will be 1) all files external, and 2) no internal notes but rather links to Evernote.

Another advice offered was backup, backup, backup. I backup daily, but I can't maintain infinitely deep backups, and if I did, in which would I look for missing files?

My opinion of PB these days is that it's interesting but unreliable. I cannot trust it with my information and so will not be using it much anymore.

Thanks,
-- Sam

zenrain
Sorry, I haven't run into this (that I'm aware of). Are you using any software to sync files in different locations?
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
SamCox
Thanks, zenrain, for replying.

Yes, I use AlwaySync, a backup utility, to copy brain files from my primary HDD to a pair of detachable USB HDDs. The backup direction is always from primary to detachable and never in the other direction. My brain files are always accessed from my primary HDD.

It did occur to me that AlwaySync (or my use of it) is an element of the problem, but I've been using that program for a couple of years with many versions of PersonalBrain. It is only now with 5.0.1.3 and 5.0.1.5 that I have my problems.

Beginning today I will do these things: I will make a brainzip prior to each backup and I will snapshot statistics — especially numbers of notes and internal file attachments — before and after backing up. I may catch a gremlin in PB, AlwaySync, or the ways in which I am using them.

-- Sam

zenrain
I did notice when I was testing AlwaysSync that unless I was extremely (and I mean really really) careful with settings and the state of my HD vs the USB stick, I could easily mess up the data.
After several times of having to revert to a brainzip because of issues, I stopped using it. Ultimately I never found out if it was my fault or an issue with AlwaysSync that was the culprit, but PB is very picky about the database and with the amount of files something could easily go wrong.
I would recommend you try DropBox. I've found that if you don't have the database open on two computers at the same time it's flawless, and the one time I didn't and it created backups of conflicting files, it was easily restorable.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
Sam,

I strongly suspect that your sync software is the culprit. Because PB's backend uses many files that are interdependent, sync software that operates on a per-file basis will almost certainly corrupt it. Because of the way they are stored, internal files cannot be "lost" by PersonalBrain unless the files are deleted, moved to different location, or a Thought's GUID is changed.

Regards,
-Harlan
SamCox
Hi Harlan,
Thanks. That makes sense for internal files, but what about notes and attachments such as links to websites? Same deal? A number of those are missing, too.
-- Sam

Dusty
Hey Sam,

My experience is similar.  I bought the Brain recently, and when I did the software updated going from 5.0.10 (demo) to 5.0.15 (registered).  A short time later, I lost most of my bookmarks, which is fine as I don't think managing bookmarks is the Brain's forte, and I lost a few attachments, which is worrisome since I would like to use the Brain as a file manager.

If the Brain could export all the attachments and notes, perhaps in separate folders titled with the thought name, I would feel a lot safer.
Harlan
Sam,

Yup, the use of syncing software on your PB database will almost certainly corrupt it - the results are unpredictable - many things may go missing or the entire brain may become inoperable.

Dusty,

There weren't any changes to the backend between 5.0.1.0 and 5.0.1.5 as far as I know, so the upgrade from one version to another may not be relevant. Did you get an error message of any kind? Or did you just notice at some point things that you thought were there not being there?

We have many users, including myself, who keep all of their files in PersonalBrain exclusively. Due to the way file attachments are stored (in a folder named with the GUID of the thought), it is not possible for PB to "lose" file attachments unless the folder is moved or deleted. So it is inherently very reliable.

Export of Thoughts into a folder structure containing all notes and attachments is a good suggestion. We'll add this in a future release.
Regards,
-Harlan
SamCox
Harlan,

You are a "hitter of nails on heads." Since I stopped sync'ing my brains to a backup HDD, I have lost no more files, notes, or attachments. I am backing up with BrainZips and copying them to my backup drive.

zenrain,

Thanks to you, too. You first suggested that sync'ing files was my problem's root cause.

Thanks,
-- Sam

Edit: Thank zenrain.

CaptainJustice
SamCox wrote:
Revising an old mini-thread.

My new mode of operating with PB5 will be 1) all files external, and 2) no internal notes but rather links to Evernote.

Sam - expand on your Evernote linking a bit, if you will. I also use Evernote and feel that I need to find the optimal way to us EN and PB together as they have some very different capabilities.
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
SamsungS10+
Working (still) at https://judgegiljones.com and
Playing at https://captainjustice.net
SamCox
Hi Cap'n,
I'm using Evernote 2.2.1.386. Creating PersonalBrain thoughts with links to specific notes in Evernote is lovely simple.
  1. Select a note in Evernote.
  2. Right-click on the note's orange header and select Copy Note Link.
  3. Switch to PersonalBrain and navigate to the target parent thought.
  4. Right-click on PB's plex and select Paste Web Link.
A child named "Evernote" is created containing a link similar to:

Quote:
evernote://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\sam.cox.ENT\My%20Documents\My%20EverNote%20Files\DataBases\EverNote.enb/?guid=[F98C9348-9E71-4D24-B208745D82131B23]

which is a full and complete reference to the particular note in a particular Evernote database.

Instead of right-clicking on the plex to create a new thought, you can right-click an existing PB thought and paste the link.

A very nice feature of this one-way linking is that if your Evernote application isn't running, PB will run it and jump to the note. If Evernote is running, PB will not start another copy.

A weakness of this sort of linking is that it depends on exact directory structure and file naming. If you decide to relocate your Evernote databases or rename them, the links are broken.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

CaptainJustice
Sam - I figured that was what you were doing. I'm now on the version 3 of Evernote and it does not have a GUID to each item. If I drag an item to the plex and click it in PB, I just get a duplicate! Not too handy. Back to the drawing board.
The Cap'n

-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
SamsungS10+
Working (still) at https://judgegiljones.com and
Playing at https://captainjustice.net

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software