Quorcork
Hello!
I just tried installing the new PB6 version on a 10.6.4 MacBook. The installer does not know how to handle non-admin user installations, providing a write permission error on the /Applications dir. Of course this permission setting is intended as nobody in his right mind works from a root account.
Trying to install from an admins account produced permission errors, too, this time regarding the permissions to create plist config files.

Has anybody been able to install PB6 on a Mac so far and, if yes, what process did you use?

Best regards
Silvan
Quorcork
Update:
The second issue regarding the errors when installing from a privileged account (root/admin/etc.) arises because the installer tries to write into the already existing PB5 installation (arghl!).
The installer definitely should be able to handle upgrade scenarios, where there are older PBx versions present in the system!!!
Best regards
Silvan
Quorcork
Workaround:
Install to a local folder, e.g. on your desktop, and then drag & drop that app into your applications folder.
Best regards
Silvan
zenrain
Yes, I have installed PB6 and it's working fine.
The issue looks like you are not an admin user (that's fine, I'm not either, my admin user account is a separate account), and you are trying to install to the /applications folder rather than the User/applications folder.

Since I'm the only user on my Mac, I've granted myself read/write permissions to my root applications folder, and don't use the User/Applications folder. In your case it looks like you want to be using the User/Applications folder, as you don't have permissions. I've found that trying to use any software in the root apps folder without read/write control causes issues if they have to write to their folder, not just PB.

So, when you install, just change the path to your User/Applications folder and you should be fine.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Quorcork
Thanks for the feedback, zenrain.
I'm well aware that i'm not working as an admin user, as written in the first post. Using a user-local application folder is a solution, albeit one i do not favor (feels more like a crude workaround).

Regarding the addition of write permissions to /applications, please consider that this undermines basic OS security. MacOS prevents downloaded programs from unauthorized writing in the /applications directory, by explicitly requiring an admin account authorization. This is done in order to inform the user about the fact that a program is trying to change the locally installed executables, thus giving him a chance to prevent installation of code he did not intend to install. This protective concept is nullified by allowing arbitrary writing to the /applications folder from a user account.

Please forgive me if i sound too patronizing, it is just that even the simplest MacOS programs nowadays know how to install themselves with full MacOS conformity and for me it is hard to understand why PB follows a different path.

Thanks again & best regards
Silvan
zenrain
Hmm, good point. I take it you weren't prompted for an Admin login when installing to that folder?

After reading your post I did a bit more research and have come to the conclusion that I had ran into a few programs that had installers and didn't correctly request admin rights when installing. Although, to be fair it was also probably being requested to log in every time I uninstalled or upgrade a program that helped move me towards giving myself write access. Thanks for the information, it's good to know the risks!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
FYI, we have changed the default installer for PB back to a "drag and drop" type installation as was used in version 5.5. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Quorcork
Sounds like a simple & effective solution, thanks!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software