Spacenexus

I'm loathe to have to raise this issue but PB is repeatedly hanging, stalling, taking minutes to change thought. This is a large brain with 70k+ thoughts but we all addressed this some months ago, appeared to solve it, and now it's worse than ever and totally unacceptable. I can't stress enough how critical it is that the system works smoothly and at speed. I have 8+8GB RAM, fast processor, graphics card and can wack a dozen aliens at a time with full 3D rendering; PB should be well within these performance capabilities.

Please re-address this issue urgently.

Thanks

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Jim,

Can you please replicate the slow performance and send me a copy of your Output.log file?  I'll see we're catching what is bogging down the application.

Thank you,
Matt
jostber
What about including a java profiler tool with PB so this can debugged by the user and the bad process might be located? Something like this:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/tools/healthcenter/

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
BrentK
I also had intermittent hangs, and I spent a lot of time trying to collect java information for Support.  So I'm all for having an imbedded java tool.  But rather than this being an end-user tool, I think it should be an internal one that's constantly and quietly looking at java, quietly fixing/tuning problems, and not-so-quietly reporting these changes/problems back to Support.

I used the past tense when I mentioned my intermittent hangs because I no longer get them.  One reason is that I've moved my notes into Word/txt files because of known issues/inefficiencies with Notes, but this didn't completely solve the issue.  Then I came across a few topics in this forum about increasing java memory.  I followed those instructions and haven't had a hang since.  I've copied a set of instructions from Moe into this post for your convenience, in case you want to try this.

1. Close PB.
2. Create a text file and put the following content into it:
-Xmx384m
Make sure there is a linefeed (Enter) at the of the text. Save this file and name it PersonalBrain.vmoptions in the PB program folder.
3. Restart PB.

Brent
jostber
Maybe IRAD could be used as well to check memory leaks?

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/05/0816_GuptaPalanki/

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Spacenexus
Happy to report that 6073 is proving to be very responsive. Instant search is now giving Google Instant a run for its money! Activation is also notably faster and smoother.

Thanks for the efforts guys. Very much apprecaited.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
Spacenexus
Although the instant search is notably faster, the extensive hangs when adding a child, parent or jump still occur as before. Please apply the instant search fix to the new thought instant list also.

thanks

Jim
PB 6073

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll notify our engineers for their review.

Thank you,
Matt
Spacenexus

Thanks Matt

Additionally i notice that in the instant search box, the search only intermittently yields results on partial words. For example, when just searching for 'space systems engineering' i typed 'space sys eng' and no results were available. As soon as i extended that to 'space system eng' then the thought 'Space Systems Engineering' appeared in the list.

So one word (system) was required in full but it seemed to not require the full word 'Engineering'.

thanks.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software