sklocke
Using beta 19 on Windows 10. I noticed that I can not remove PDF attachments. When choosing the delete option form the hamburger menu of the attachment, then, after some time, I get the message: 

Error while deleting
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. 

I am not sure if this is a defect or has to do with my particular windows installation. Maybe the application needs some special permissions to work in the context of a restricted windows installation. 

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Brigitte
Hi Stefan,

You will need to close the PDF before you can delete it.

Best regards,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
Harlan
This can be caused by TheBrain's built-in PDF previewer. FYI, this is a bug that we are aware of and are working on addressing.

In the meantime, delete the PDF without opening it in the built-in previewer by right clicking on it. If you have already previewed it, you will have to preview a different PDF to force that one to unload.
Regards,
-Harlan
bkonia
Unfortunately, there is no "Delete Attachment" context menu item. If you right-click on the attachment icon in the thought, the only options related to attachments are "Open attachment" and "Add attachment", nothing about deleting an attachment.

It's also super-frustrating that there seems to be no way to move attachments around. For example, drag an attachment out of the thought into the plex to create a new thought for the attachment. Or drag an attachment out of a thought into a different thought. I'm pretty sure all of this was possible in older versions of TB, but in version 11, working with attachments is awkward and frustrating.
metta
@bkonia ~ 

Some improvements (not sure which ones) in the context menu for attachments should be forthcoming in the next build for v11. ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸â„¢â€š

Agree with you completely on the much needed bulk operations for attachments as discussed in another of your recent posts. In fact, I've been quite puzzled why these issues haven't been given a higher priority since improving attachment management would help work flow immensely....
bkonia
@metta, the issue is not just with bulk operations. Presently, I can't figure out any way to move a single attachment from a thought into the plex, or from a thought to a different thought. In each instance, I've had to delete the original thought and re-create it without the attachment, then drag the original file from the file system into the new thought.

I tried using cut/paste to accomplish this, but it didn't actually "cut" the attachment, it just copied it, so I ended up with the same attachment in both thoughts!
metta
@bkonia ~

Of course, you're absolutely right.

All these attachment issues (bulk management, dragging/dropping, moving, etc.) have been laborious or unavailable ever since TB9 was launched -- in contrast to TB8 where the attachment management worked so smoothly. Ã°Å¸ËœÂ¢

In fact, this is one of several reasons, I'm still using TB8 to manage my megabrain. (Work flow is so much smoother and faster when the attachment management is quick-and-easy.) Ã°Å¸â€˜Â
Harlan
Please see the attached screenshot for the context menu I was talking about...

As for the problems you mention moving attachments, there have been no changes to that functionality from 10 to 11. The easiest way to do what you describe is to drag the tab for the attachment you want to move from the content area to the plex. You can drop on an existing thought or drop in an empty area to create a child. If this is not working for you, please describe further.

If "cut" is not working for you, I suspect it is the same root issue that is not allowing the deletion of the PDF file. As mentioned earlier, we are aware of this problem and will be fixing it in a future release. 11 has a totally new PDF viewer, which is quite a bit better, but still has a few kinks such as this that have only recently been discovered.

Re: bulk attachment changes, at present, the easiest way to accomplish this is to open the thought folder and make the desired changes from there.

2019-10-02 01_15_56-TheBrain.png

Regards,
-Harlan
bkonia
Harlan wrote:
Please see the attached screenshot for the context menu I was talking about... 

Yes, of course I'm aware of that context menu, but if you only have one attachment and you want to delete it, it would become visible the moment you activate the thought, so it couldn't be deleted. I guess in that instance, you could just delete the entire thought, but whatever, I'll just wait for the fix.
Harlan wrote:
As for the problems you mention moving attachments, there have been no changes to that functionality from 10 to 11. The easiest way to do what you describe is to drag the tab for the attachment you want to move from the content area to the plex. You can drop on an existing thought or drop in an empty area to create a child. If this is not working for you, please describe further.

I've been away from TheBrain for several years, so I was referring to older versions like 8. Anyway, dragging attachment tabs to the plex absolutely does not work for me. When I drag the attachment tab over the plex, the cursor changes to a circle with a slash through it and I'm unable to drop the attachment anywhere.
metta
Please see the following video which documents 4 of 6 bugs associated with PDFs and with trying to move attachments in general: 
https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cq6eI7u2aV

I don't know if all these bugs have already been documented, but this video does illustrate that (in my installation) attachments cannot be dropped from the tab view into the plex or onto another thought. (Same problem occurs when trying to move attachments from the list view, as well.)
mcaton
Brad,

I realize it's a few extra steps, but you could also click on the note tab and add a basic note to the thought, thus revisiting will allow you to delete the PDF since the note would have focus. Waiting for the fix is a good idea too 😉

Regarding dragging the attachment tab. Do you have your Drag and Drop setting in TheBrain Preferences > Behavior set to `Move`?  This will likely be fixed at the same time as the delete issue. A file can't be moved if it's open (or thinks that it is open)

Matt
bkonia
Yes, it's set to move. I changed it to Copy and now I can perform drag/drop on attachments. However, that setting should only apply to external files. Internal drag/drop operations should always result in the attachment being moved.
Harlan
This was fixed in 11.0.23. Sorry we missed posted the update here.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software