sylvanus
Hello everyone, I am French, I pass by the translator of google.
Excuse the mistakes.

Several questions come to my mind:

- Is what we can import everything in his brain?
- Is what you can install the programs in a folder on the brain for use later?
The registry of windows is it necessary in order to function properly installed programs in the brain?

My goal is to have everything in my brain and that it is perennial, meaning that it is OK for the long term even if windows crashes.

I would like a brain that is independent of the operating system.

Thank you for your answers and your help
JosefBetancourt
Sylvanus:

Not sure if I understand your questions fully.

Quote:

- Is what we can import everything in his brain?

Any file can be "stored" in the brain.  Importing?  Depends what you mean.  Brain can import certain application types, so it converts (maybe?), I don't use this feature.

Quote:

- Is what you can install the programs in a folder on the brain for use later?
The registry of windows is it necessary in order to function properly installed programs in the brain?

Not sure what you are getting at.   When you create a thought that is an application, you are really just creating a link to the application.  So that when you activate (run) the link in the Brain it just invokes the application in the OS specific way.  Thus, the target application must be installed in its normal way.   I guess you could store a whole application inside the Brain, but that sounds cumbersome.

Quote:
My goal is to have everything in my brain and that it is perennial, meaning that it is OK for the long term even if windows crashes.

I love the Brain and have been using it for years, yet I don't see how one can justify putting all your eggs in one basket.  Baskets break.  

Quote:
I would like a brain that is independent of the operating system.

You will always need an OS.  Do you mean one that is mobile?  Like running off of a thumb drive?

sylvanus
OK, thank you for your response!

In fact, what bothers me is to lose the links to the different applications the day I want to change OS.

Not only I'll have to reinstall the applications but I'll have to recreate the shortcuts.

The interest for applications in the brain is able to do a full backup without any need to reinstall programs.
And no need to recreate the shortcuts because PersonalBrain maintain the path.

It is important that these programs do not need the register to be able to operate on a USB key for example.
JosefBetancourt
If you have a Thought that is a link to an application.  That link will always remain a link to that application.  You don't have to recreate the link.  However, the application, of course, would still have to be available at that link.  As far as I know.  I never really thought about that or tried it.   Anyway, that is how you create brain zips and so forth, links are just shortcuts.

As to changing OS, lets say from Windows to Linux.  I don't think links will be valid.  Which makes sense, the linking file metadata would be different.

If everything runs on a USB drive, I don't see any issue.  But, there was a posting on this in this forum somewhere, that has more details about any 'gotchas'.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software