logan
Hello,

I couldn't find any information to this question. So I wanna post this here:

I'd like to install PersonalBrain Pro on a USB drive (U3). Unfortunately, my office computer has an older Java virtual machine installed (1.4) than my home computer. How can I request PersonalBrain to use the Java runtime environment of my USB drive instead of the hosts installed one?

I have seen discussions about the INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME environment variable, but don't know how to set it on the USB drive because the USB drive letter may change from machine to machine.
Also, do I need to install the installer image of PersonalBrain to the USB drive or could I just copy the *.zip version onto the USB drive? The *.zip version starts from the USB drive but of course still uses the hosts installed Java runtime environment.

Best regards,
Logan

newguy
Good luck -- I've been unable to accomplish this without using a much older version of PB on the thumbdrive (one that isn't so dependent on the latest Java version, apparently) -- if you find a more suitable workaround to this, please pass it on! Basically, my best option now is bringing my personal laptop with me - everywhere.
logan
Hi newguy,

bringing in a private laptop is not allowed in every componay.

newguy: How did you do your set up with a much older version of PB?

Best regards,
Logan

newguy
I hear you there -- the personal laptop issue aside (strange that one can't use a personal laptop at work, but bring in all the thumbdrives you want..? But I digress...), I used an earlier v4.x incarnation of PB that still worked with some older Java versions. 

When prompted for location during install, I just set it to a folder on the thumbdrive. It runs just fine off the drive (my brain's not very big? -- no better way to say that...) and it has really revolutionized the way I can visualize/process information at work.
NeoBrain

Logan and NewGuy,

Good evening to you both.

Please look in the following post http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=5042085 for some information on this topic if you are still in need for this matter to be answered.  I know it has been over two years since the question was asked but I thought I would offer what information I have.  Hopefully, the moderators/developers will answer with good news.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software