bkonia
Mermaid is a Markdown extension that allows for creating beautiful flowcharts, sequence diagrams and Gantt charts with just a few lines of simple Markdown code. It would be great if TB supported this extension, as it would make it fast and easy to create simple diagrams in the editor.
Rob2050
Very interesting. I am only a MD novice, but its hard to get my arms around making flowcharts with text... but i guess for fairly simple ones? Interesting concept how the world wants to get back to text for everything.

I thought a principle of markdown was so that your text rendering did not rely on a specific product or tool, doesn't this extension go away from that?
bkonia

Not sure what you mean about text rendering not relying on a specific tool. The main principle of Markdown is that it should be viewable and editable in plain text and should be understandable when viewed in plain text, which Mermaid diagrams certainly are. 

A Markdown viewer transforms the plain text into a prettier format, just as your web browser transforms HTML into pretty web pages. If you were to view a document containing a Mermaid diagram in a Markdown viewer that doesn’t support Mermaid, you’d see the plain text version of the diagram, which though not ideal, would still be understandable. 

Rob2050
I just meant that generally markdown syntax is agreed upon in the main, i know there are some variations. Most markdown is meant to be consumed in a rendered form, so the vast majority of markdown viewers would not render the Mermaid shapes (as you said).

I can see where in a community of people working together and everyone had Mermaid it would be useful. Or if it was in a blog scenario where people say a rendered web page.

Like i said, interesting.  Not trying to be critical.
bkonia
Mermaid is widely supported and can be rendered in all web browsers and many popular Markdown viewers including Markdown Plus, Markdown Monster, Typora and others. Moreover, there are Mermaid extensions for most of the leading code editors, including Atom and Visual Studio Code. Finally, TheBrain has itself extended Markdown with completely non-standard extensions to support fonts and text formatting, which was never intended to be part of Markdown and in my opinion is contrary to the purpose of Markdown. Nevertheless, that's a done deal, so considering that TB is already using non-standard Markdown, I don't see how anyone could object to the inclusion of a popular Markdown extension, supported by many Markdown viewers, that would allow for rendering of simple diagrams in the text editor.
mcaton
Thank you for posting. I've documented your feature request and will share with the development team.

Matt
Harlan
Sorry, but since TheBrain does not use a web browser (like all of the viewers/editors you mentioned) to render markdown, extensions like this cannot be supported. 
Regards,
-Harlan
bkonia
Thank you, Harlan. I understand your point and appreciate your response.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software