DavidGretzschel

I don't know what the exact difference between normal, outline and mind-map is.
I'm tired of trying to google stuff like that it at this point, because googling anything about TheBrain is a pain.

For one, I'll always get results about anything but the software, in my first few attempts. If there is documentation for a feature, it'll likely be for older versions. Or it won't be obvious for which version. Or will be in video-format. Or will be in a brain in the program. Or in a web-brain. And then it might mention a cool feature that has since been dropped. But by the time you figure out it has been dropped, you're trying to use it first till it slowly dawns on you, that you just wasted time and got your hopes up for nothing (happened to me when learning about "expanded view"). This is an Alpha and you want people to test it, yes?
How can it be tested efficiently, if the documentation is not there in an easily accessible place, to tell how each feature and button works, and what each checkbox in a dialog does and each visual element is supposed to represent?
How would anybody notice when something does not work, when in many cases it's not obvious how things are supposed to work?
https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials
This ain't good enough. Videos are nice to have, but in many ways incovenient.
Please just write a text manual with screenshots and arrows, that goes thru everything. Every dialog, every checkbox, every menu-entry, every thing that can be clicked. With a big number on the top, telling me which program is being referred to (with build number). So I can ctrl+f like a normal person.

Videos are fine, but more cumbersome. I'd enjoy a complete two-hour documentation video with about a hundred timestamps, that I can ctrl+f. Especially if it would accompany a text manual. I'd probably also enjoy if there was a Brain that I could open that had complete documentation and was another way of seeing the same info as the manual. But first there needs to be a complete manual, in an easy to reach location.

Make new users go thru endless and frustrating trials of error makes it extremely hard to retain those new users. I'lll probably struggle thru this and adopt this software, anyway, but how it hurts!

I think a lot of it is already written in the "tips"-dialog at startup, so why can't I access that information on a webage, that I can ctrl+f at the very least?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

wcm49
I missed it the first time too, but on that support page is a 231 page PDF manual on THEBRAIN 10.
DavidGretzschel

*sigh*
Thank you!
I guess I should have looked under "support", instead of only at "tutorials", the YouTube channel, several TheBrain-webbrains for explaining the brain for older versions, the built-in tutorial brain, the help-menu of the app itself, Jerry's brain, different blogs talking about the brain, a guy on the Discord server who used to have a brain......
I didn't see it. Maybe I did, but filtered it out, cause I strongly assumed that Support is where you go, to write a ticket.
Anyway, sorry for the rant.

That's going to be extremely helpful for me in learning this program fast.
Why not an updated manual for TheBrain 11? Point still stands:

You can't really test software, if you're unsure and can't look up, what the intended behavour is.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

wcm49
I don't see indications of any significant changes to anything but the notes editor.
11 just came out....Patience Grasshopper 😉
metta
= Request for TheBrain Team =

Please add a link to the Help Menu within TheBrain for the Support page on the main web site.

This would go a long way toward stemming the tide of requests we get in the forum for access to a user guide and current help resources. ðŸ˜‰
DavidGretzschel
@metta
That would be good. In addition in help, there should be an "open manual"-entry, which launches the PDF in the default PDF-reader.
Nothing wrong with having that already being part of the installation. Why should this be reliant on having internet, after all?
@wcm49
Well, I don't want to look for "indications". I just want to read a changelog and know exactly.
And if only very little changed, then there's very little that needs to be rewritten.
If a lot has changed, then documentation is all the more important.
Annoyance and exasperation seems more approrpiate than patience.
So I think I'm happier being unhappy with this.

--
---
---

zenrain
Read the release notes in the Update post in the forum for the change log for each point release. Read the changes linked or on the download page for the initial changes. The Alpha features have a habit of changing and increasing due to user feedback so the Guides are released after the final version.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
wcm49
@DavidGretzschel 

Well then......have you tried reading the https://forums.thebrain.com/?forum=92430 link? release notes on all the versions. 11 appears (probably don't like that term either) to be still in Alpha or Beta release mode. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but we're not to the full blown release yet.....I think they are doing a pretty good job of keeping us updated on an excellent program.
DavidGretzschel
@wcm49
hardly.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/thebrain-11-desktop-alpha-release-11-0-17-10276775?pid=1309594461
It's in Alpha from 11.0.17. What the Alpha can actually do, isn't described there. There's no release notes for anything pre-alpha there, but that's where presumably all the features were added.

https://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/thebrain11
This page does have release notes however and a good list of new features.
So there is good documentation, I just didn't find it in obvious places, is all.
I'm happy enough with what I got, though. Not so lost anymore.
But finding everything was more difficult than it needed to be.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software