DavidGretzschel

Although I've been using TB for almost two months I never really managed to make myself look at all the available functionality and all the commands at my disposal.
Take all the selection-commands, which I just happily discovered seem to be a tool I can use to make efficient gardening without mouse-use possible, something which I didn't know how to do at all before:
Cause the first thing I tried to do with it (mass deletion) was (and still is) broken.
And then it was extremely frustrating to explore the various commands, because none of the commands had preset shortcuts.
And the command-descriptions were vague and mysterious.
At the beginning I couldn't even get to the shortcuts-tab efficiently, because there was no ctrl+tab-support! (something my brain stumbled over many times again after the first time, since using ctrl+tab for a tabbed interface is a deeply ingrained instinctual behavior for me)
Then when I tried to assign a shortcut to a command, I'd inevitably find, that almost all the ones I tried the first three times, were already used by something else. I probably could have found something eventually or went and unset the blocking command, but my stamina has its limits.
Trying to test a new command means having various hypotheses about where the command can be used from, as well as what it could possibly do, as well as several confused theories how I would want it to work.
There’s only so much that can be held in working memory and trivial inconveniences add up quickly to overwhelm even the most ardently motivated beta-tester, and would certainly overwhelm someone like me even sooner.

And this might be difficult to emphasize with, because everything must be quite obvious if one has created the program and everything make perfect sense, so I’m stating it explicitly 🙂
Please mind the (inferential) gap!
https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Inferential_distance

Now at least some of the descriptions make a lot more sense.
Now with alt and shift+alt-modifiers in the mix, there's just a lot more shortcut-space, so there are fewer shortcut-conflicts.
And with the new replace-dialog, I can use the same key-combo that I know is reserved for my current testing of various commands over and over.
In the past, I'd give up in frustration, shouted loud abuse in German, grew bored or just plain forget what I was trying to accomplish in the first place, because there are only so many things that can be kept in mind and only for too short a time.
In UI, for a complex program, every second matters.
Overhead must be minimized or a feature, brilliant as it may be, will simply be left unused or undiscovered.

I still have many gripes with TB11, which I will continue to complain about.
[top 3 at the top of my head: no way to use context-menu key instead of right-click on active thought, no way to select links with arrow-keys or any command, too many focus-loci and (missing, as well as unintuitive) shortcut-contexts]

But I’m happy to say, that TB11 has made great strides in usability.

Great work! Please keep it up!

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Harlan
Thanks for the feedback David. It is always good to hear from someone who is mouse-averse as it gives a perspective that is helpful for others that even when they do use the mouse regularly.

BTW, if you have an idea for how selection of links via the keyboard would work, I'd be happy to consider it.
Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

@Harlan
Thank you for tolerating all my whinging so far.

My desperate and pleading tone is because the way I wish things would be, is incredibly obvious to me.
And I always feel very negatively surprised, downright crippled when actual behaviour deviates from my strongly-held expectations.

I shall make a list of the exact behaviour, that I imagine for this.
Taking into consideration that implementation should not be very difficult and the new behaviour not conflicting with old behaviour that people are used to.
Extending without taking anything away.

I will post it in a couple hours, so that it may be a legible, technical document and I can think of all the corner cases and can draw up some helpful diagrams.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
answered here:
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/how-arrownavigation-linkcommands-and-highlighting-should-work-in-detail-10352409?pid=1310053309#post1310053309

--
---
---

mcaton
David,

Replied on the new thread.  Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on keyboard navigation to include links.  This has been requested in the past but we have not yet found the 'right' way to do it.  The design team will be happy to review your feedback.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software