djhag
... at least on my version here ...

In other words, every time I launch personal brain, the preferences panel displays and none of the previous sessions information (including the history of recently opened brains) is displayed.

Everything worked before the upgrade to 6.0.6.9.

The question - is this a 'permissions' issue on wherever the preferences are saved?

Any hints would be more than welcome.

DH
djhag
Further details to my previous email for what appears to be a peculiar bug ...

The TheBrain6Preferences copy.xml file is correctly updated on exit or closure of 'a brain' or when setting a preference (I checked the values that I set in the preferences). However, I have observed that this file get's 'deleted' when a new session of PersonalBrain is initiated. This is why the software presents the 'Preferences' screen when opening a new session (no preferences XML file exists).

Further information: If a new session of PersonalBrain is initiated and Preferences are changed and then the session is closed WITHOUT opening 'a brain', then the file doesn't get deleted on the next session. As soon as 'a brain' is opened and worked with in any manner ... the next session the preferences XML file is deleted on startup and the whole sequence starts again (preference screen presented).

I will move this message to the 'bug/issues' area if someone else with the Mac version confirms these symptoms ...

DH

jroeterd

I have the same problem with the windows version. I changed the font, background and added pins. With every restart all is reverted to the defaults.

Jeroen

Moe
@djhag, @jroeterd, Thank You for posting. Please update to PB version 6.0.7.0 (download link) to see if it makes a difference. If the same occurs, please reproduce the behavior you have run into then forward us a copy of your output.log file to support@thebrain.com referencing this post. The log file may help in further troubleshooting the issue you have run into. Below are instructions on how to obtain a copy of your output.log file.

How to obtain your output.log file if you are using Windows 7 or Vista:

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, right click the PersonalBrain icon in your start menu then select "Run as administrator", this will enable PersonalBrain to run as administrator for one session. You can find the output.log file in the "Program Files\PersonalBrain" folder. Please note that for the output.log file to be generated you will need to run PersonalBrain as administrator.

How to obtain a copy of your output.log file if you are using Windows XP:

Simply run PersonalBrain. You can find the output.log file in the "Program Files\PersonalBrain" folder.

How to obtain your output.log file if you are using a Mac:

If you go to PersonalBrain in the Applications Directory and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS in the Finder window, you can find the output.log file in the Contents > Resources > App folder.

Thanks,
Moe
jroeterd
Output.log file send ...
Moe
jroeterd, Thanks for taking the time to send us your log file. Our engineers are reviewing it now. I will be in touch with you via support on this.

Thanks,
Moe

jroeterd

Update ...

I have had contact with support and they found that special characters in my path to the brain folder (the characther é) was causing the trouble ...

Renaming my parent folder from 'Privé' to 'Prive' solved my problem with not being able to save my preferences.

I hope this is usefull to anyone also having this problem ...

Regards,
Jeroen 

djhag
Good afternoon ...

I have been out of circulation for a couple of days ... thanks for the responses Moe & Jeroen. 

The output.log file allowed me to see where the 'exception' was. Like you, Jeroen, I had a 'hidden illegal' character in the directory path I was using for my 'brains'.

The problem is resolved now.

All the best,
DH

Moe
DH, I am glad that you were able resolve the issue by removing the illegal character in your Brains directory path. Our engineers have made some changes which will handle problematic characters in a future release of PersonalBrain.

Thanks,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software