mikesingleton
Hmmm. Preview is not working for me. All I get is the message that "the brain is unable to initialize a preview" I got this with both Word and PDF files. Is this possibly Windows 10 related?
pthompson
Mike, 

It will only work with PDF if you have Acrobat installed and Word if you have Microsoft Word installed. Do you have these installed?
mikesingleton
Yes I have Office 2013 which includes Word and this did not work.

For PDF my default was pdf Xchange viewer but I tried Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as default and still did not work.

I really don't see much point to the preview though as files open very quickly anyway.

When inserting files, emails etc. I generally "Capture Image" - the first section of doc or email involved - This gives me an instant "preview" when just hovering over the icon.
mcaton
Mike,

That's a great trick.  I do the same with PPT files - so I quickly know what the first slide is.

We're aware of the issues with PDF preview and we're looking into a few different possible solutions.

Thank you,
Matt
jotapa
Hi Mike,
forgive me for jumping in, but I have to say that I don't agree with you. Auto preview can be one of the most important features of TB.

The ability to hover thoughts and immediately have a doc preview (for a wide range of files: .doc, ppt, xls, pdf, gif, png, html, ...) is a time saver for information retrieval.

Also, the ability to scroll and preview/read the full document without leaving TB provides a better (distraction free) user experience. I have seen this in DevonThink (Mac only app unfortunately). It is really cool. 

Your image capture process is very clever and should be enough in some cases, but takes additional preparation effort (not much I reckon) and does not address what I describe above.

Just expressing my opinion... not trying to convince you of my point of view. We all have different ways of using TB.

Best Regards,
Joao
perry
Yep: My PDF viewer is PDF-XChange (which works well in the browser), would be great to have a comment-able preview [smile]
mcaton
Thanks Perry,

We do have the annotation/citation request open on another ticket.

Thanks,
Matt
perry
mcaton wrote:

We do have the annotation/citation request open on another ticket.

Ah, I thought that was pretty different, as it involved a lot of TB interrogation of the document.

Here, I just meant if it was not just a read only preview, but if the PDF Editor could be hosted in TB then that would be neat too. 
mcaton
I'll add PDF editing as a bonus enhancement beyond citation and we'll see how far it can go [smile]

Thanks,
Matt
perry
mcaton wrote:
I'll add PDF editing as a bonus enhancement beyond citation and we'll see how far it can go [smile]

I guess I was thinking that the functionality would be supplied by the PDF Editor installed? If TB has to do its own functionality for PDF Editing (commenting), then I think that's not one of its core functions [wink]
pthompson
Great. Thanks.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software