sbo
Hi,

I hope this question hasn't been answered somewhere already; if so, sorry for the noise .

I use PB to organize almost everything in my everyday job.
As I am working in the IT, I deal with a massive amount of data.

What I do today is I link attachments to my brain and keep them in their original locations as they are being often updated by fellows at work.

Here is the trick : I would like not only to be able to attach documents, but to preview those documents directly in the plex.

For e.g., I use many Visio maps; it takes several seconds everytime I need to check a map; in plus it makes me leave the brain which is quite painfull after a certain amount of repeated files' openings.

It would be so much more comfortable to be able to have a screenshot of the map IN the brain.

Actually, I am using the "past icon" option; but I have to generate a new picture every time the doc is updated; this is not clean nor handy.

Does anybody know about a better way to proceed ?

Thank you.

Stephane.

Stephane.
tcahill
If you create a separate thought for each attachment, the plex should keep a preview of that attachment ready for display when you hover over the thought icon. Doesn't a visio file's preview image display at that time? (Sorry I can't check this right now. I'm running Linux)
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
sbo
Thank you tcahill for your answer.

Actually when I drag and drop a Visio file, I get a new thought with a Visio icon close to the file name. When I hover over the icon it the only effect I get is the icon getting a little bigger.

But no preview ...
Stephane.
Dryopithecus
sbo wrote:
Thank you tcahill for your answer.

Actually when I drag and drop a Visio file, I get a new thought with a Visio icon close to the file name. When I hover over the icon it the only effect I get is the icon getting a little bigger.

But no preview ...

Hi,

As far as I know, currently, the Mac version can preview documents in the Plex (I don't have any experience with Mac, but I saw Harlan demonstrating this feature on video), but Windows version can only preview some image files, I'm not sure about the Linux version (I have not been using Linux for a long time).
JJS
Dryopithecus wrote:
As far as I know, currently, the Mac version can preview documents in the Plex (I don't have any experience with Mac, but I saw Harlan demonstrating this feature on video), but Windows version can only preview some image files,

Presumably integrating a Mac OS capability. Windows years ago enabled a preview with QuickView, then licensed from INSO. Version 10 remains available from Avantstar.com, for both end-user purchase ($46) and OEM integration licensing.

But even without licensing QuickView (which would be Windows only), PB could throw a user-configurable command line on the hover event for thoughts with attachments. Base it on file type, so we could hover to preview in WordView, click to edit in Word. Or use QuickView if we have it.

The ability to trigger a command-line on a hover would offer a path to an OS/agnostic preview. 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software