pklotz
Hi,

nearly unbelievably, I did not think I would still live when the brain comes out for iOS and it looks exactly as it should in the videos! I'm an old PersonalBrain user (version 6 or 7) but I decided to wait until a version for iOS would come out. The personal working style simply had changed to use the of iPad and without the outlook of support for a real mobile client, the investment in an upgrade did not look like a good idea.

Well, now we have it, nice ... but then it became clear that my old sync method using Dropbox (yes I know that it needs to be used with care) would not work again and that I would have to use the cloud services in order to make use of it. I only have 2-3 brains, so cloud services are purely for synching but without sync the iOS version is pretty useless.

The problem that I have is that the price tag for this kind of private use of the brain is much much too high. 160$ or 120EUR every year just to be able to sync brains, that is astronomical! Yes maybe you get updates but, do I need those every year? I'd rather pay less. I mean look at any other subscription-based services, you pay maybe $5 to $10 per month max. Sorry but 160$ per year ONLY for brain syncing is over-the-top!

Suggestion dear the brain, why not split between a company offer and a private offer? 

There are other postings on this topic and the company should think about it, because I will not be the only PersonalBrain user that will NOT come back with these conditions. And I really would love to use the brain again, because I've never found a real alternative, neither MindMaps (e.g. MindMeister) nor Evernote are an alternative to the brain's graph-based organization of information. But not at this cost please!

Do something!

Peter
mcaton
Peter,

Thanks for posting.  Please keep in mind that there is the option for FREE Brain syncing on the iOS as well.  Yes, the annual subscription option does have more features and benefits, but many of our iOS users have found that the free account meets all of their needs.  Just create an account at https://webbrain.com/signup and then login from your iPad or iPhone and start creating and syncing your Brains.

I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our sales and development teams.

Thank you for your honest feedback and your interest in TheBrain,
Matt
TheBrain Technologies
Isilion
I just recently found myself in this same situation. I own a Pro version, but as a private user I cannot afford the price for cloud services. I pay already for cloud services for other tools, but the amount I pay is astronomically smaller. 

I can't use my pro version because it won't work with free sync and I can't use the free version because one of the biggest differences with other solutions for me are the thought types, tags and link types - all of them pro features. 

Is there a future scenario in which the company could consider creating a more cost-effective price plan for private users?
Brigitte
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. You may want to take a look at TheBrain Pro Service for $180.00 per year. TheBrain Pro Service gives you all the Pro features and cloud services for the duration of your Pro service. 

Here is a link to our store page with pricing details: https://www.thebrain.com/store as well as a chart with all version details for your reference: https://www.thebrain.com/store/compare-editions

Monthly payments has been recorded as a feature request, and maybe coming in the future.

Best regards,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
stroi
I agree that pricing is too high. I'm based in Denmark and have been using the Brain on/off for 5+ years. Each time I get hooked, the cost makes me look elsewhere. 
Unfortunately, while trying to like the free version, it is too limited. Particularly the absence of tags and types. I can have something similar to the pro version elsewhere - it doesn't suit me needs quite as well, but is free/cheap.

It is true that the Brain is a unique product, and cannot be compared with Evernote and such. It is just that I can achieve a very similar outcome (ie. structuring my thoughts and knowledge) with different combinations of a few other software/services - just using a different approach from the Brain.

If the pricing was 50-60% of the current level for private users (pro services or combo), I would be a customer. Hoping for the best in the future.
Isilion
stroi wrote:
I agree that pricing is too high. I'm based in Denmark and have been using the Brain on/off for 5+ years. Each time I get hooked, the cost makes me look elsewhere. 
Unfortunately, while trying to like the free version, it is too limited. Particularly the absence of tags and types. I can have something similar to the pro version elsewhere - it doesn't suit me needs quite as well, but is free/cheap.

It is true that the Brain is a unique product, and cannot be compared with Evernote and such. It is just that I can achieve a very similar outcome (ie. structuring my thoughts and knowledge) with different combinations of a few other software/services - just using a different approach from the Brain.

If the pricing was 50-60% of the current level for private users (pro services or combo), I would be a customer. Hoping for the best in the future.

+1
Brigitte
Thanks for your sharing your views - I will pass it onto our sales and marketing team. However, we feel for the amount of functionality you get, and given the caliber of our knowledge management software complete with proprietary database and patented visualization, that our prices are very competitive. We also offer complimentary technical support to all users.

Best regards,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
galenmenzel
Brigitte, I am more than willing to pay for well-designed software. I have a Pro license for TheBrain, which I gladly pay for — nothing else on the market does what TheBrain can do, and it is worth every penny.

What irks me about TheBrain's cloud-sync pricing is that you charge $160 a year for a feature that

1. Is free for non-pro users (i.e., the Pro product without sync is cripple-ware)
2. Is typically free for other products such as OmniFocus
3. Shouldn't have to be part of the core product in the first place (the database design should be robust enough to be synced with external syncing services)
4. Is underpowered, since 30GB is not enough space for some uses of TheBrain that you advertise, such as file management
5. Does not offer an adequate security model for brain sharing

Thus I have to pay for features that I shouldn't have to pay for (basic syncing), and the extra features I might be willing to pay for don't work well enough to be worth the money (file management, brain sharing).

I get that this is currently the only way to make money from the iOS product etc etc. But in this age of dirt-cheap syncing services, $160 for something you should be able to do for free with Dropbox is just never going to sit well with a lot of users. Even if you improve the security model and the storage quota, you are still going to get grief from users who just want to use the same database on two machines and don't need sharing or iOS or WebBrain or whatever. $160 a year for the convenience of not having to create a brain archive, save it to Dropbox, and restore from it every time you switch computers feels exploitative.

Tinderbox — another peerless product whose sticker price raises eyebrows — has an interesting license agreement: you buy a license, which gives you perpetual usage of the product, but only includes updates to the product for the next year. After the year is up, if you want to use an updated product, you need to purchase an upgrade license. Most consistent Tinderbox users pay $100 a year to keep their licenses up to date. I've seen this model adopted by a few other indy development houses. From what I've seen, it works well, and doesn't garner consistent grumbles from users.
Isilion
galenmenzel wrote:
B
Tinderbox — another peerless product whose sticker price raises eyebrows — has an interesting license agreement: you buy a license, which gives you perpetual usage of the product, but only includes updates to the product for the next year. After the year is up, if you want to use an updated product, you need to purchase an upgrade license. Most consistent Tinderbox users pay $100 a year to keep their licenses up to date. I've seen this model adopted by a few other indy development houses. From what I've seen, it works well, and doesn't garner consistent grumbles from users.

I bought a Pro version because I understood - my mistake - that The Brain worked exactly like that. I would buy a pro license if that was the case. 

Maybe there could be space for a "Premium" license, between Basic and Pro that would work this way?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software