Travst
I was searching for a tool to present project data in a form that my audience (research scientists and clinical personnel) would understand.  I use MS Project and a Gantt chart just doesn't cut it.  I found TheBrain and I like it.  However...

It would be useful to be able to organize child thoughts (representing project tasks in my case) in a priority order - steps, if you will.  Also, it would be great to be able to shut down the notes and properties tabs at the bottom... making TheBrain a great tool for presentations.  The animations are very nice for this use.

I'd love to use TheBrain for presenting to groups.  I really like the ability to expand each topic and move around a brain (a project in my case) by expanding and contracting groups of tasks.  Nice work on this program.

zenrain
If you use the pro version (not sure if it's available in Core) you can double-click the plex to expand it to the full window.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Travst
Great tip, thank you. 

I also came up with the idea of using different icons for task status: complete, started and not started.  I have a folder of clip art for projects open and I go through and paste icons of a red X for complete and a partial pie diagram for those underway.  Projects not started get no graphic.
agnor
Also remember that, depending on your version (though I think it's possible with all versions), you can assign background colors to the thought names with a given type.

I've found that images and backgrounds for types go a long, long way towards helping me to see how things are organized.

rengel
agnor,

just how do you assign a type-specific background colors to a brain?

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
agnor
You can assign colors to a thought type.

To do so, pull up the properties on a thought by either right-clicking one and choosing "properties and attachments", or left-clicking on a thought and opening the "Properties and attachments" tab.

You should see a drop-down for "Type".  Click "New Type" to create a new type in Personal Brain:

Within the new type dialog, you should see a dropdown named "Display".  In there is an option for "set color" that will allow you to select the color that those thought types will be.

After you've created your type for the first time, you can assign a thought type to any thought by right-clicking on the thought and hovering over the "thought type" option in the menu (usually the first one):

Once you assign a thought type to a thought, it should take on the color that you selected.  It's a great way for grouping thoughts and making similar things apparent.

For instance, you can see my post about making a timeline in PB.  Any thoughts with the same background color have been assigned the same type:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2471340

Note that you should make sure you're editing the TYPE, and not the THOUGHT itself.  If you edit the thought itself and not the type, the color change will only affect that one thought.

Hope this helps.

rengel
agnor:

Thank you for your detailed explanation!
I knew this procedure. Whith me, it only sets the foreground colors. But I found the solution:
You have to activate the check box
Options->Preferences->Background colors.
If this check box is activated, Display->Set Color sets the background color, otherwise it sets the foreground color!

Thanks again!

Reinhard

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
Axla
I'm also using PB as a PM tool, although I have found it not to be optimal.

If you have any other suggestions, please post them!

See some of my thoughts here:
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2595524

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=22905562&postcount=4

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=23766067&postcount=3

agnor
Ah yes!  It was late last night when I wrote my post, so I'm glad you were able to find that option and get it to work.
Travst
Thanks for contributing to this thread.  I hadn't thought about using thought types (newbie) so I was changing colors manually.  I change the colors for project milestones.

As far as using this as a PM tool, I've limited use only to senior management and non-technical audiences where the interrelationships between tasks and the project timelines (other than completion date) serve only to confuse them.  I think the slick interface and the animations keep them interested.  I get a lot of questions like "What is the program you're using"?  All of our conference rooms have projectors, so I use TheBrain interactively.

agnor
Hi Travst,

Glad the thread helped.  That's where you begin to get more into the power of Personal Brain:  create a type for each of your project milestones and give them a color;  not only is it easier to see at a glance what's going on, but then you can use reports to pull up all projects at a given stage (via the thought type you assigned to them).
Mariner
You can organize child thoughts in a priority order simply by starting each thought with a number.  E.g. 1. Buy the train ticket; 2. Get on the train. 

You can add detail to the stack by using decimals.  E.g. Session 1 / 1.1 Course Introduction; 1.2 Participant Instroduction; 1.3 Rationale for the 'flow' of the course, etc.

Shutting down the Notes and Properties tab is quick and easy - just double-click on the display portion of the plex.  Double-clicking again brings Notes, etc. back into view.

Travst wrote:
... It would be useful to be able to organize child thoughts (representing project tasks in my case) in a priority order - steps, if you will. 

... Also, it would be great to be able to shut down the notes and properties tabs at the bottom... making TheBrain a great tool for presentations.  The animations are very nice for this use.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software