Jeania
Okay a bit embarrassed here, but hoping that someone who's kind can help me on a few things (you may laugh at me, but silently... tomatoes are also welcome as long as they accompany BLT sandwiches >.>

Okay, for the most part I've been figuring out how to use my Brain (heh) but there's still a few things I need to have cleared up.

I use a program called RocketDock (much love to it lol) but one thing that's always tweaked my tweakers a bit is that when I uninstall something, the icon (because I put it in a folder for easier dock usage) would still remain and I had to update the 'folder' manually, specially if I added a new prog. Not a prob, just an annoyance.

However, one thing I've greatly desired is the ability to open the programs themselves... not to mention clear up all my (googleplex ;)) of notepad .docs. Okay, done babbling...  (I swear! erm...)

So, I'm trying to create a parent (no prob) with childs that include the actual .exe inside. Would make it so much easier to keep things organized.  But not sure how to do that :/ so hoping to have some help with that.

Also, as I'm well on my way to making this brain, How do I display my brain? I mean, I have the link to open the file of course... but how do I get it to auto display etc? Even a taskbar icon would be great... but I'm sure there's already something, just not finding it.

I've been searching for these answers, but after all the things I've searched, I've not found very... understandable answers to these plights, and my eyes are sore ;)

Could I also suggest a 101 that (yes I know you have them) is extremely basic for those who are just beginning? I think that it would help a lot of people...luckily I tend to be willing to research, and am intuitive with computers. But just a thought :) Looking forward to the reply, very much, so I can work on my brain ^^

Thank you ^_^

pbmember
Hi there, I'm a beginner too and have found the people here MOST helpful and kind. You'll find the Personal Brain program in your Applications in Finder. Just drag it to your Dock.

My user name is pbmember and you'll find a lot of my beginner questions appearing in the How To category (this one). Don't hesitate to ask anything because that's what the Forum is supposed to be here for. And there are a lot of experienced users here. Good luck to you and have fun!

P.S. I forgot to say, you probably want from Personal Brain what I want, to organize your computer and your life. Don't worry about making mistakes when making your first brain, because you can change everything. So if you want a 'child' linked to a different 'parent', you can change it. Just dive in and start making a brain When you see your "Thoughts" (box) you attach 'Parents' to the little circle at the top of the box, attach the 'Child' or (children) to the little circle at the bottom of the box, and the circle on the left side of the box is for attaching a 'Jump' thought (kind of a floating thought), not sure what it's for, but looks necessary. haha

Watch the 101 tutorial for beginners and you'll be up and running in no time, and also that'll make you have even more questions. (I think it's the 4th topic from the top on the 'How To' forum.) Someone should come in here soon and answer what I couldn't.

MAC User
Jeania
Aye, I dragged it to my dock (although unsure if I need to click on it whenever I want to see the brain?)

Figured out how to attach file .exe to child's...but the tree is looking a biiit like it's doing a bit of the splits lol. not sure how to get the 'branches' to get smaller and ordered under their appropos parent. *sigh*

Looks like I'm going to be researching your questions ^^ thank you so much *hugs ya* ^_^

pbmember
Are you new to the Mac too? I just got my first one in November. Once you click on the Brain Icon it'll load and stay on your screen all day until you close or minimize it. If a Child is attached to the wrong Parent, drag the line link from the bottom of the child box and attach it to the top of the Parent you want, then hover with your cursor over the 'old' line and .....I forget how I got rid of that, I think the answer is in one of my posts here. The tree probably shouldn't be doing the splits.

I wish an expert would come in here and help. I think they're taking naps, it's Sunday after all. haha
MAC User
Jeania
lol I tried chat, but you were afk Luck ^^

Aye, basically what I'm hoping to do is to not only have all the normal stuff, but let's say under the Organization I have a few branches:

Cleanup Progs:

I have a link to start up Revo, Tune-Up, Spybot, Avast (but not all at once lol) (to name the ones off the top off my head). But these split 2 and 2...

and then I have

Personal Efficiency:

Noto
Rainy Day Budget

Still under construction, both of these lol.

Like I said, I do use Rocketdock and Fences... but I really want to organize things into ways that are more useful and less 'here and there and everywhere' lol. If that makes sense? I know that this prog will do that for me, I just gotta figure out these kinks ^^ Main problem though, is the listing... I don't like the fact that my 4 (currently) progs for comp maintence is splitting here and there. I tried a few different poss methods, but none of these worked lol.
zenrain
Jeania, are you using a Mac or Windows?
I'm also not sure what you mean by splitting here and there. Could you attach a screenshot?

You may already be doing this, maybe not, but are you attaching shortcuts to your program .exe's? On a Mac this is ok, but it's best to leave the programs in the application folder, on Windows, dragging the .exe out of the program folder most likely will disrupt things. I'm guessing you are linking to the files, you can easily check by going to Preferences, UI tab and checking the On drag and drop of files to Personalbrain dropdown.

Also, I'm not sure if you are using Pro or Core, if you are using Pro you can add multiple links or files to the same thought, so you can have all the maintenance programs on the same thought. You can also put them under a Application, Maintenance Parent thought so they are all together (shown below).

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version - Name: Pic1.jpg, Views: 164, Size: 52.07 KB
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
One of the first uses I used PB for was as a launchpad. It works as well with programs as with URLs.

I use a thought named "Frequently Used" as my daily apps launcher. Check the attached file to see what mean. I keep that thought pinned, so I can get right back to it from anywhere. I also pin my current hot projects at the top, letting me instantly jump to them and their docs and toolsets.

Your personal brain will split up like a tree. Well, like a network. A tree is purely heiarchial, and I've never seen any of my brains stay in that format.
Click image for larger version - Name: LookingGlassPlex01.png, Views: 134, Size: 73.05 KB
-Darkstar
zenrain
Another idea (requires core) may be positioning all your programs the way you want in expanded view, then choosing Options > Save Expanded view. Give it a name, and then any time you want you can choose Load Expanded View > [Name].

While it's not a quick launcher, it allows you to place associated programs, or programs used for certain things in a consistent place.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
bfisher
awesome - that's a feature I didn't know about   Time to play with that one!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software