ShelleyHayduk
If you want to use your Brain from multiple computers, one easy way to do this is to put your Brain on a removable USB drive. This is very easy to do. Just move your .brain file and corresponding _brain folder onto the drive.

Once there, you can open your Brain from that drive on both of your computers (the PersonalBrain license entitles you to install on to up to two machines). Note that you can even use two computers that are two different Operating Systems.

One thing to be careful of - make sure that you properly stop the USB drive before disconnecting it. On Windows, this is done via the Safely remove hardware in the lower right corner of the task bar. On Mac OS, this is done by ejecting the disk. Failure to properly stop the drive could result in data corruption, so make sure to create back up BrainZips on a regular basis.

Note that you don't have to install PersonalBrain itself onto the USB drive - only the data files.

Shelley
westbroek
Lugging around a USB drive (ext. HD) is a bit cumbersome.

Running PB from a flash drive is too slow.

I Brainzip my main brain (excl. attachements), extract it on the laptop. When done I BrainZip it back to my flash drive. On the desktop machine I then select the thoughts I've been working on and copy-and-paste them.

EverNote's storage on the web is tempting

ShelleyHayduk
We are working on additoinal sync methods for future release. But for now this is the best way to do it.

you can see another post at

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2307009&highlight=flash+drive

Shelley
westbroek
Thanks for the reply and the link, Shelley.

From what I've read and heard I "know" that I still have a lot to look forward to in PB's development, including sync concept goodies.

I have all the time in the world and patiently await those goodies

newguy
I've successfully used Personal Brain on a thumb drive for some time, but encounter some issues in running PB on boxes at work -- we have an earlier version of Java installed on these machines and I'm just wondering if there's a way to install a current version of Java on the thumb drive and have PB run from THAT engine instead of whatever version of Java's installed (or not) on a particular computer...sorry if this is a dumb question ...anyone have any suggestions?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software