metta
Before installing TB11, I had 2 folders where all my v9/10 brains were stored:
> U01 is associated with a couple dozen brains created in my paid account
> U02 is associated with a few brains created in a free account, which I use for testing shared brains

Since installing TB11, I created 2 new brains while logged into my paid account, and it looks like they were each created (placed) in 2 different storage locations:
> The first exists (alone) in a new folder named U00
> The second exists in U01 along with the 2 dozen brains I previously created in v9/10 in my paid account

In light of this, I'm curious:
> Why was a new user account folder (U00) created while I was working in my paid account (U01)?
> Why was the first of the 2 new brains I created in v11 placed alone in this new folder (U00) -- and the 2nd brain placed in folder (U01)?
metta
With further reflection, I realize now what happened:
  • When I initially downloaded TB11, I was NOT logged into any account, and I ended up creating my first v11 brain without being logged in. Hence, the creation of the U00 account folder.
  • The interesting thing about this brain is that it can be edited under any of the following circumstances:
  • -- when I am not logged in
  • -- when I am logged into my paid account
  • -- when I am logged into my free account

In light of this, I now have a question for TB team:
  • IF I took this brain (that was created when I was NOT logged in), and then shared it via the (email) login/synced access option, would the person with shared/synced access be able to edit this shared/synced brain?
mcaton
Metta,

You mentioned you shared it via email... meaning that you sent someone a .brz archive file?  If so, then yes, they would be able to extract this Brain into their account and make edits. Those edits would not effect your copy of this Brain.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Apologies for not being more specific, Matt ~ 

I haven't actually shared this brain yet since I am waiting on more substantial web client improvements to resume my web services subscription.

What I meant to say (now edited) is this:
  • IF I shared this brain via the (email) login/synced access option, would the person with shared/synced access be able to edit this shared/synced brain?
(Can't test this now myself from my pro account, since sharing requires an active web services subscription.)
Brigitte

Hi Metta,

Thank you for your follow-up. If you invite someone as a Reader via the "Brain Access and Sharing" window by entering their email address, they will be able to download this Brain to their local machine, but they will not be able to make any edits.

You will need TeamBrain Services in order for someone else to make edits. TeamBrain Services allows you to easily and effectively collaborate on a shared Brain:  http://www.thebrain.com/products/teambrain/

Best regards,
Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies

metta
Thanks for your follow-up, Brigitte. I understand the TeamBrain services are the only approved accounts for shared brain access.

Just to clarify, the reason I asked about what would happen when sharing a brain that had been created when NOT logged in is that, based on my preliminary testing, it looks like anyone with shared access to this type of brain could edit it -- and I was pretty sure that was not what TheBrain team intended.

I will go ahead and test this myself with another brain user (for my own satisfaction and confirmation), once I have renewed my web/sync services, just to confirm that creating a brain when not logged in does not inadvertently create an unapproved (and unintended) access point for editing shared brains.
Harlan
@metta: You are correct in that a Brain that was created when not logged in is not associated with a user account. However, in order to sync that Brain, you have to login. When you do this, the Brain will become associated with the account you use to sync it.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for your feedback and clarification, Harlan.

In my experience, this association with a user account only lasts for as long as I am logged in -- and this association has not prevented me from being able to edit the brain in any/all of the following situations, as detailed above:
  • when I am not logged in
  • when I am logged into my paid account
  • when I am logged into my free account
In addition, after having logged into both of the aforementioned accounts, this brain is still listened under U00 in my brain folders.

In this the behavior that should be expected?
metta
@Harlan ~

I think I understand now....I realize this brain has not yet been synced, and when I go to sync the brain, I am offered the option of uploading this brain to the server -- so this upload (rather than the login process) must be the mechanism for associating the brain with a specific account.

...which leads to my next question:
> Once this brain has been uploaded to either my free or paid account, will the location for this brain in my folders also change? -- Or is the current folder location (U00) permanent?
Harlan
Yes, the location will change. 
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Got it. ðŸ‘Œ

Thanks for confirming, @Harlan. 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software