pbmember

It's time for another question!

I'm going to another One-to-One Mac class tomorrow to learn all about the guts of this great machine. Files....I've never quite understood how all that works, or the extensions, etc.

I think I read in the Manual that the Brain program automatically does a 'Save' every minute or so, but we need to do saves if we're doing notes, is that correct? Also, the .brain is the File and the _brain is the Folder? What's the difference?

MAC User
zenrain
PersonalBrain automatically saves note changes every five seconds. You can also use the save function under the notes menu File > Save. I used to use this all the time but after Harlan's post here I stopped.

The .brain file is a pointer and contains some xml coding for the brain database. The _brain folder contains all the indexing files, internal attachments, and database information for PB.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember
Thanks for letting me know I really don't have to do the 'saves' any more. As for the file (.brain) and folder (_brain), what practical meaning do they have as far as my knowing what each is?

MAC User
zenrain
Quote:
what practical meaning do they have as far as my knowing what each is?

Don't separate them, they both have to be in the same folder for PB to be able to use the database.
Files that you attach in PersonalBrain (not linked to) are saved in the _brain folder.
The safest way to directly get to the internal folder the files are saved in is right-clicking the attachment in the Properties & Attachments window and choose Open Thought Folder.
Otherwise, don't manually move, delete, or rename any of the files or folder inside the _brain folder.

From a Mac users point of view, you may want to exclude the txt folder in the _brain folder from spotlight searches, otherwise it'll just clutter them. You can do this in the Mac's System Preferences window.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember

Is it okay to move all the Brain files/folders to the Shortcut area? I've found I can't open them by clicking on them where their filed. I can only open a Brain from clicking the PersonalBrain Icon on my Dock. Is that normal?

MAC User
zenrain
pbmember, you should also be able to open the PB file directly, try right-clicking and choosing Open With, and assign PB as the program.

However, I've just found an issue with this on the Mac, that I'll post over on the Issues forum. Basically it doesn't actually open that brain, just the last one you had open.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember
Thanks for the tip to exclude the txt folder in the _brain folder from spotlight searches. Thanks to both of you for trying to explain all this file/folder stuff to me.

I 'think' I've discovered that if I go to File and actually do a "Close Brain", then the next time I click on PB in my Dock, I get the main page that allows me to choose a brain to open. But if I don't 'Close' a brain, then it automatically opens instead of giving me that choice of which brain to open. Of course, I've discovered I can open any Brain from 'File' in whatever Brain it automatically opens for me.

QUESTION: I think I might just move all those .brain and _brain files/folders back to where they were and forget the Shortcuts, as I don't need them because of what I said above. My question is this: When I created a New Folder in Shortcuts (the Shortcut storage is called "Places" in Finder on the Mac), I dragged all that PB stuff (.brain and _brain) into it. The problem was that it wasn't just a 'Copy' of those Files/Folders, but it actually MOVED them. Therefore, unlike with all my other Shortcut Folders, I had to be careful to remember NOT to delete that new PB Shortcut Folder because that's the only place I saw them stored. How come I can make a Shortcut Folder for say, a Pages document, and when I drag it to that Shortcut Folder, it still remains in "Documents" too, but the Brain files/folders don't, when I move them to the PB Shortcuts Folder I created?
MAC User
FerruccioFenoglio
on post # 4 of March 18th Zenrain warns against moving any file or folders...now I know why being I moved them before knowing of the warning.

What to do now?

FF.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software