wordmuse
The Dec 10 2013 release notes include this:

New utility added 
- File > Utilities > Move External Attachments into Brain – moves all externally linked file attachments 
into the Brain 

This sounds like a powerful utility, so before I do something I'll regret, I'd like to ask for clarification.  If I use this utility does it:

1 - Move every single externally linked file attachment into the Brain or
2 - Move every single externally linked file associated with the currently selected thought into the Brain.

- Bal
Spacenexus
Not sure I spot the issue you're getting at but I'm sure it's a good one. I've also requested a select files feature for this. I have about 50 links to .exe files for example, which I use as a dashboard for starting various software (rather than using the start menu). If those files were caught up in a blanket 'move into brain' action that would be less than useful.

I had requested this feature a few years back and it's good to see it on the manifest and I'm sure it will be refined.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
wordmuse
The issue is pretty simple. I have a bunch of linked files, external to one of my Brains - it never stops feeling weird to say that [smile] - that are also used with other programs. I do not want them moved by a wholesale operation.  That could actually be quite painful and would necessitate hours of trying to figure out where they originally came from. So I'm very hesitant to use this feature.

Now - if the utility is simply for use with one or more user selected thoughts, that could be very good. I could even see using it in combination with a crawl/manually select/deselect operation. But I'd want absolute control over which thoughts would be caught up in the operation.

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense.
- Bal
Spacenexus
Agreed!
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
Tracy
Wordmuse,
The New Utility feature you are referring to "Move External Attachments into TheBrain" will move all of your file shortcuts/external files in that Brain. Not just a selection, it will move all. If you ever want to move certain external files to be internal files in your Brain you can always right click on the file from within the Thought tool and select Move file internal or Copy file internal. Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
wordmuse
Tracy - I really appreciate the update. If I were to accidentally click this, would I get a big Red Flag warning saying something like,

Hey - You could be making a
huge mistake with this utility. Are you
sure you want to proceed?
OK             Cancel

And if I say OK, get another warning:

Are you absolutely sure? There
is no Undo for this function.

What I would really prefer, being the nervous-nelly that I am, is an option that removed the utility from the menu. This is way too powerful for my taste.

Thanks.
- Bal
Tracy
Hi Bal, Yes you do get a warning before your files are moved internal. I'll share your feedback regarding disabling the utility. Thanks
Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
zenrain
The task is under File > Utilities, which isn't exactly a popular vacation spot. If necessary, please move to the *support* menu options.

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software