Dictatorfish
Hello all,

It's still my first day on the forums and I've only used PersonalBrain for about a month now, but I thought I'd throw in the couple of cents I've picked up over the month.

Firstly, I travel quite a bit and - finding the benefits of PersonalBrain so massive that I now use it in every aspect of my life - try to have access to it when ever possible.  Because of this, I've got PersonalBrain and my Brain itself installed on a portable USB hard drive.  However, two major things have cropped up in regards to portability:
  1. The software license doesn't appear to transfer and on each computer I use the software on, the software starts anew, informing me that I have X days to go before the trial ends.  In addition, settings under "Preferences" are set to default on any computer on which I have not configured them.  Is it possible to set it so that files and settings are read from those on the portable drive rather than new files created on the local machine?
  2. Is it possible to use relative paths to link to files located on the same (portable) hard drive as "external attachments"?  Are absolute paths the only way or is there a way to make use of relative paths?
Since I use PersonalBrain for anything and everything, I inevitably have quite a lot of confidential and a lot of personal stuff on here.  The hard drive I use is a Lenovo ThinkPad Secure hard drive, for which I have set a 12-digit access code for.  However, I still worry about accidentally leaving the hard drive plugged into a computer when I, say, answer the call of nature or something to that extent and someone unscrupulously reads or even copies my Brain files onto another drive for later.

Is it possible to password protect the files?  Or even better, is it possible to password protect certain thoughts so one would be able to pick-and-choose what they don't mind public access to and which are strictly personal?  FreeMind has this feature, but I can't find it in PersonalBrain (if it exists).

Finally, is there an option to set the first thought that appears when the Brain file is first opened to be the Home Thought or something to that effect?  Let's say I wanted to show someone something I knew I had saved on my Brain.  It would be much more convenient if the Brain file would open on the same, "safe" Thought every time rather than, for example, a Thought detailing confidential client details because that was the last Thought I looked at last time I used the software.

If these features are already implimented, please let me know because I can't seem to find them.  If not, then consider these my suggests on how I think the product could be improved (if they haven't been suggested already).

Thanks for your time.
Dictatorfish
Thanks for your detailed response - much appreciated.

No relative paths, err?  I wouldn't have thought they were that difficult to impliment, but then again I'm no computer tech.  And I see what you mean by "none of [the workarounds are] satisfactory".  Ah well, not the end of the work, but far from convenient.

Shame about the privacy/security aspects and, reading through the threads, I agree with the vast majority of every point you made, so at the very least I know that I'm not the only person here with such concerns.  Darkstar has already stated exactly what  I would like:
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=32649470&postcount=22
We'll simply have to see what TheBrain Tech come up with in the next big update.

The reason I posted a new topic up was because using the forum's search function I could only manage to find relevant topics that had been inactive for several months, even years, old.  Being new, I don't yet know the forum's etiquette - is it acceptable to resurrect previously "dead" topics or is it better to start one anew?  Being a 50-50 chance, I simply guessed the latter.

Thanks again for your detailed response.  Out of curiosity, how often are TheBrain Tech staff on these forums to give us some insight into their current developments?

jostber
I understand the policy of not talking about features that is not completed and tested yet, but I am not sure why we can't get access to test versions like what is usual in all open source software and even some closed source? One example is Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/advocate_overview/
http://www.codeweavers.com/

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
I would gladly test v.5.1 even with many bugs if we just could get access to it.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Darkstar
TheBrain is usually pretty good about posting betas for the early builds of a rev, and once they are satisfied it is stable, then updating the production.

TheBrain seems to be busy at the moment, hence little attention from Harlan and the "engineers". Moe and others do look after the forums, passing along problems. And some of the users here are very good about responding with help and how to handle the quirks of PB.

Welcome to the forums!
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software