0advena0
Hello-
I'm new to PB so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere (I've searched this forum a number of times as well as <UserVoice> and found no joy).

Quick Look is a *very big* part of my workflow & so far I'm finding the implementation in PB quite lacking. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong.

*What I would like to do is the following:*
* Set a default shortcut (spacebar)
* Be able to Quick Look attachments (or linked attachments) to Thoughts by selecting the the Thought and pressing [spacebar]

Basically what I'm looking for is standard macOS operability. If this is possible PLEASE let me know how to do it. If not are there any plans for this functionality any time soon?

thanks much,
scott
zenrain
Hi, welcome to the forum. 

I don't believe this is possible currently. Two reasons, the first is that you can't seem to remove the Keyboard Accelerator Expand/Collapse thoughts in Outline view (which is assigned the space bar). 
Second, OS assigned shortcuts won't work in PB. I believe this may be a Java limitation. This also means that the assigned shortcut for expanding/collapsing thoughts won't work on the Mac. PB really should allow us to reassign that accelerator so we can replace it with something that works.

Currently I've assigned PBs Quicklook to ⇧+Space. It's the closest I've been able to get.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
0advena0
Hey zen... thx for the welcome.

I've read *a ton* of posts on this site & I would like to personally thank you for your insight & sheer number of posts

Thanks for the suggestions. The shortcut is okay (I already had it set... to the same thing as you oddly enough) however you still have to go into the Thought tab to Quick Look which really messes with my workflow.

I understand that PB can't use OS shortcuts (which is fine) however I'm more worried about the current implementation of Quick Look in PB. I honestly couldn't care less if I had to use shft+cmd+opt+F12 (haha) if Quick Look functioned in a mac-like way, meaning of course being able to Quick View Thoughts in the Plex. At least this is how *I* think things should work

Assuming your workflow uses some amount of Quick Look-ing, do you have any suggestions on workflow?

My current workaround is to not use Quick Look and instead have the UI pref "Click active thought to open/create" checked on. Since I use Skim (almost all of the stuff i need to QL are PDFs) it's not horrible... i still have a fair amount of txt files and whatnot that open in TextMate, but i'm moving those txt files into the notes area of individual Thoughts, which seems more logical than attaching a txt file to a Thought. It does have the downside of making that text file an internal PB file which I'm doing my best to completely avoid (I'm super paranoid about having all my data dependent on a dB).

I actually took one of your suggestions and am keeping all my PB files in a flat folder structure, although I've taken a few steps to streamline and slightly organize the files in that flat structure using folder actions and whatnot.

sorry for the Great Wall of Text.

I would love to hear any insights you may have and it would also be great to hear from Harlan about whether or not there are any further plans for Quick Look.

-scott
zenrain
Ha, no problem, glad you found some of them helpful. 

Hmm, I just double checked, I have the accelerator Thought > Quick Look set and Quick Look does work from the plex for me (at least it does when testing on 6.0.6.4 on OS 10.6.6). If you have your mouse over a thought and use the accelerator it will quick look that thought's attachments, otherwise it will QL the active thought. 
The only QL behavior that really drives me up the wall is having to click the x button to close it, you can't just use the accelerator to close the QL window again. 

I think my workflow may be pretty darned close to yours. My usage of PB notes is generally limited to quick notes I want to be able to reference very easily, and procedures to do stuff that I want to remember. Oh, and keeping track of tasks related to a thought.

For general attachments (.pdfs etc) I generally link to files in the Thought tab, and either invoke QL (which is not as often as it should be partially due to the closing behavior, and partially due to working on Windows with PB a lot too and forgetting ), or shift + return on active or moused-over thoughts to open the attachment. 

My other workflow is for longer notes or writing that I want to be able to reference anywhere or are just too much for PB notes, I use nvAlt to create text files. Since I generally use Markdown for formatting, if I want to also transfer some of the text to PB I preview the HTML code and then paste it into PB notes in the HTML view. I'm 99.9% certain that TextMate can do the same thing (and much much much more ). If the file is going to change, I also link to it in the Thought tab as well.

nvAlt saves my text files into a folder I've imaginatively called Notes, and I've created a Symlink to it in my DropBox folder (yes, I've deviated from my flat folder practice slightly, mainly because I don't want to sync all my documents and their dog to DropBox). That way I can use Elements to view the files on my iPhone.
So, I admit it, yes, it can sometimes be a bit of double entry, but WebBrain isn't really up to snuff for iPhone / iPad use and it works well for me.

And that's the wanabe geekery that is my workflow. Hopefully you can find something useful in there.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention. I also have Hazel move documents automatically from my downloads folder to my Documents folder. Then I have it open a finder window with that document selected. This makes it stupidly easy to download a file, have it go where it needs to go, and then drag it into PersonalBrain to reference as well.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
0advena0
Good lord... i have no idea what happened but you're right. I'm super new to PB so maybe I needed a restart or god know what, but right after i read the first bit of your post i went over to PB and it works exactly as you said. I really don't know what the problem was on my end.

It is pretty funny though because Quick Look is slightly delayed in PB & then there's the whole click the "x" thing so without realizing what was happening i ended up with like 3 Quick Look windows open (which, amazingly, just keep opening up on top of each other). Then you've gotta click the "x" three times etc...

I agree that the QL functionality is funky (although better than nothing). Hopefully there will be an update & it will start to act "normal."

Thanks for the workflow walkthrough (haha). You're right... we do have nearly identical (except i don't have an M$ component) workflows. I don't use hazel anymore but i get the same results with folder actions & automator. I may look into hazel again though because folder actions are delayed and i'm visiting the aforementioned folder immediately to drag files into PB so that delay can be annoying...

i LOVE notational velocity! It's literally one of my favorite apps (along with scrivener and maybe PB once i wrap my head around it). I just came across nvALT a few days ago (the markdown functionality in nvALT is something i'm really looking forward to) and will be switching to it but the current version breaks my standard NV dB... if i ditch the dB and import the txt files from NV into nvALT the titles get truncated which hampers the searchability of the dB... so i will be waiting for the updated version of nvALT to make the switch.

Cutting/pasting from the nvALT preview window is a really good idea... i probably would've just copy/pasted the marked-up text, but now i'll copy from the preview window.

Oh and yeah you can do this in TextMate but NV is soooo much faster and easier & so i don't use TM for quick note taking at all (with or without markdown).

I definitely don't have a perfectly flat file structure either. Certain things get segmented out from the main "Library" that PB will be–my NV notes being one of them. I don't see any reason nor benefit to *literally* keep everything in one folder... for me it's just important to have a small number of prospective folders where something can go & to keep this system 1-2 folders deep. My main PB "Library" folder *is* a single folder though.

Thanks again for all the info... now i'm definitely secure in the knowledge that my PB workflow is sound and all i've got to do is get into the rhythm of it, learn to deal with it's quirks and to *completely* embrace non-hierarchical file management in a non-finder environment.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software