mdlynam
I've used the Solarized Theme settings, but I'm curious to know what other settings and themes users have found helpful in making their Brains visually appealing with fonts & color schemes that are readable (over the period of a few hours).  Do you use wallpaper that aids in how you layout your Brain?  

Happy Holidays and look forward to hearing from the community.
/mark/
pthompson
Mark,

I also use the dark solarized theme on many of my Brains.
Peter93
I always customize my themes with what works best for me because I have very individual preferences. For example, I always work in expanded mode, so it's important that links are not too flashy and there is enough contrast for the thoughts to pop out.

I worked for a long time with pretty background images of space and underwater landscapes but I find it too distracting now. I also changed to a bright background and a cleaner appearance that feels more calm and less techy. 

Here is a screenshot of my old theme from two years ago and my new one which I changed early this year:

BSNnGflCIAAKwSJ.png 
Bildschirmfoto 2015-03-19 um 15.07.52.png 
I didn't really have a concept for the old one back then, I used colors all over the place. Now I have a small palette of muted colors in combination with bright ones for extra attention. Only thought types and tags get colors, very rarely individual thoughts. Each color has a more or less specific meaning for me, so I don't use them randomly and only when appropriate.

My inspiration came from the italian information design agency Accurat. I really like how they make very complex charts appealing and approachable, which I think is also due to their intelligent use of color. I'm still experimenting with this stuff and I'd really appreciate a way to create a fixed color palette that is accessible everywhere in the brain and where changes apply globaly everywhere the color is used.

As a designer, I also think that the TheBrain company could profit highly from hiring a professional interface designer (I am no interface designer myself, so don't see this as self-promotion [wink]). There is much that could be done better here and the app could be made much more approachable for people that are not so tech-savvy.
While I like the idea of being able to customize the design, I also think that there should be a more modern and professional looking base theme. There should be no need for customization except when you have specific needs.
If you look at the (especially in mac and design circles) popular writing app Writer, there are no settings at all to customize it's appearance, because the interface is so well done that there is no need for it (which should also help focus on the main task – writing, instead of messing with colors and fonts).

Just my 2 cents. [smile]

- Peter
zenrain
Quote:
As a designer, I also think that the TheBrain company could profit highly from hiring a professional interface designer (I am no interface designer myself, so don't see this as self-promotion [wink]). There is much that could be done better here and the app could be made much more approachable for people that are not so tech-savvy. 
While I like the idea of being able to customize the design, I also think that there should be a more modern and professional looking base theme. There should be no need for customization except when you have specific needs. 
If you look at the (especially in mac and design circles) popular writing app Writer, there are no settings at all to customize it's appearance, because the interface is so well done that there is no need for it (which should also help focus on the main task – writing, instead of messing with colors and fonts).

This. [smile]

To answer the OP, I tend to use minimal themes such as solarized, and then have the thought text be a contrasting color.

I try to use a crisp font (currently using Avenir Next), use a very subdued text shadow color, have colors apply to the text and set the thoughts background to be slightly darker but the same color as the plex background so it disappears unless you mouseover a thought.

In general I try to keep the non text color palette subdued and close to the plex background color, I reserve the bolder colors for when I mouseover (so highlighted).  

Same with the links, I use curved (of course), but set them as thin as possible, and only slightly darker or lighter than the plex background so you can barely see them unless you mouseover. I find that when there are a lot of thoughts on screen this helps keep things readable, and using bold link colors when mousing over makes it easier to navigate.

This isn't to say I never use picture backgrounds, sometimes I switch it up out of boredom. However, the pictures I use are usually calm and mostly one color, with a splash of color in a specific area. I'll use this for a while and then go back to the solarized again.

Sorry, it's probably a bit boring, but in this case, boring works well for me. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software