Cornan
There are times when it would be great to be able to take the Recent Thoughts list and puff it up from the 1D scrolling line into the 2D plex.

But what should it look like?  With no preparation of my recent thoughts, I created a Recent Thoughts tag manually (see below).

I didn't like the Normal View presentation, because all of the tag's thoughts ended up as children and therefore didn't included any jump links, etc.  Too bad the Normal View doesn't allow for a "group" of current thoughts, somehow (hmph).

So I tried Expanded View and liked the results better, though Expand All helpd in some ways and made things more congested in others.

My example is somewhat a "worst case" scenario as I have viewed unrelated thoughts in this brain.  At work my recent thoughts list tend to be more related.

Bottom line, I like this idea and the idea of dynamic of "virtual" tags in general as suggested by others.

I'm all out of votes on thebrain.uservoice.com so I hope somebody will see this one here!

Click image for larger version - Name: RecentThoughtsNormalView.JPG, Views: 196, Size: 57.83 KB Click image for larger version - Name: RecentThoughtsExpandedView.JPG, Views: 197, Size: 60.98 KB
twospoons
I think your idea of "virtual tag" is the same thing that myself and others have been calling a "Smart Thought".  Basically you define the criteria (maybe a Tag, maybe a Type, maybe a combination of several Tags, or as your post suggests Thoughts activated within the past day, or week), and then those thoughts get dynamically assigned as children (or maybe the user could configure it as dynamic jump thoughts too?).

Why aren't reports able to be displayed this way as well?  I know there are several requests here on the forum and on uservoice for more reporting options.  Is there really any difference between defining criteria for a report or for a Smart Thought?
Wes
Cornan
You're right, twospoons, this morning I only thought to search for "dynamic" and "virtual", not "Smart".  Once this feature is implemented we can use the right name for it.

1/2 of my idea is the presentation, because just showing the recent thoughts as pseudo-children really doesn't go as far beyond the 1D scrolling list as I'd like (i.e. no relationships to speak of).

That's why I turned around and created a request to associate tags with views; a light just went on that it didn't make sense to lock the tags into the current view.

(caution: rant beginning)
In my mind (the wet one, not PB) I see something that is most like Expanded View, but more like islands of optionally linked hierarchies, because not all my recent thoughts (or tagged thoughts, for that matter) are related to each other, but some are.

I imagine that my (dynamic, virtual, smart) tag / thought would first organize its flock by relatedness, keeping parents and children together, and then displaying hierarchical relationships in the usual vertially oriented way.

Call it "Panorama View" (okay, "Widescreen View" for you videophiles).  It might even be possible for our PB friends to adjust some weighting in the existing "Expand View" algorithm to make it "gravitate" somewhat to the horizontal.
twospoons
Have you looked through the suggestions in this thread yet (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3355384)?  It sounds like basically the same thing you are wanting to accomplish.

Wes
Cornan
Quote:

Have you looked through the suggestions in this thread yet (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3355384)? 

I think twospoons is referring to my rant about a Panorama View, and I found the zoom (drill-down) thread very interesting, but I'm talking about which thoughts appear and how they're arrayed (i.e. not a drill-down or zoom per se). 

These comments about Expanded View are related to the way it groups thoughts automatically, not the manually created views that can be saved:

1) thoughts with no on-screen links are shoved off the plex by what I like to call negative gravity.  I'd like to see these islands (at least those that are actually related even though the links aren't visible at the moment) gravitate to a left-right axis.

2) I'd kind of like to see the parent-child hierarchies have more weight; today the Expanded View has a strong distribution (like spokes on a wheel) force.

For people like myself who who want the automated arrangements of thoughts in Expanded View to work "better", the drag-and-drop-and-save features are more of a detour than a solution.

The more I think about it, the more simplistic the current algorithm seems - distribute the thoughts like spokes on a wheel, jiggle things around, repel any thoughts with no on-screen links. 
At the very least, plex gravity should consider links that are not presently displayed and perhaps this gravity should be made a user setting. 

zenrain
I've entered a feature suggestion in Uservoice for applying gravity wells in the plex.
I feel this request is of the utmost importance, as when our brains drag us into their event horizons, it will trigger the evolution of humankind to the next level.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
twospoons
Cornan wrote:
Quote:

Have you looked through the suggestions in this thread yet (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3355384)? 

I think twospoons is referring to my rant about a Panorama View, and I found the zoom (drill-down) thread very interesting, but I'm talking about which thoughts appear and how they're arrayed (i.e. not a drill-down or zoom per se). 

These comments about Expanded View are related to the way it groups thoughts automatically, not the manually created views that can be saved

I wasn't exactly referring to just the point you made on "panorama".  But I am also not suggesting that views have to be manually created (like the current 'save expanded view' is).  I am advocating that criteria be defined for dynamically linking thoughts to a particular hub/smart thought.  The point is to avoid as much manual linking as the user wishes, and allowing links to child or jump thoughts to be dynamically populated as the dataset evolves over time.

For your specific example, I was suggesting that you could define a smart thought whose child (or jump) links could be configured such that the child (or jump) thoughts of that smart thought could be all thoughts accessed in the past 24 hours (or 48 hours or 7 days or whatever you configure).  Give the power to the user to define the criteria.

Cornan wrote:
For people like myself who who want the automated arrangements of thoughts in Expanded View to work "better", the drag-and-drop-and-save features are more of a detour than a solution.

I agree that the automated arrangment should work better, but I also think the current save expanded view was a big improvement over not saving anything at all. 

And just to clarify, because the nomenclature seems to get a little fuzzy and over extended at times... by "view" I didn't mean 'normal', 'epanded', or 'outline' as PB uses the word "view".  I simply meant a filtered subset of data within a PB file.  And as an extension of this, a Smart Thought is (or hopefully will become) a thought with a user defined set of criteria for dynamically linking to other thoughts.  This could be based on Type, Tag(s), Events, Date Created, Last Modified, or whatever other metadata becomes available.
Wes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software