danlandrum

See the attached log 1. It is important to note that this does not happen on my MacBook Pro, but is consistently reproducible on my iMac indicated in the tagline. To test this morning, I downloaded .137, logged out/in, opened my main brain, then started typing the word search in the search box. Full crash.

The second log attached is what happened with the second time I tested this morning. This time I used a test brain with just a couple of thoughts. After waking the computer from sleep and opening the test brain, I typed the search term. This time the plex went blank (see attached screenshot).  I've see this seen this immediately preceding the crash other occasions. Wondering if this is all related to the 5k monitor on this iMac as per this thread http://forums.thebrain.com/post/frequent-crashes-seem-to-be-associated-with-idle-time-using-sierra-3156-8300033?highlight=5k&pid=1293929919#post1293929919, or at least something graphics related, I opened my display preferences and noticed that I'd somehow switched back to the default iMac display profile. With TheBrain still open I switched the profile back to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Voilia! The plex immediately refreshed and my thoughts were there again.  

All of the recent versions of TB9 have performed well on my laptop, noneon my much beefier iMac. I hope this is still being addressed. There are a lot of these machines in the hands of those in publishing/design. If it was my only computer I'd have a much different opinion of the state of TB9.

To close this line of thinking I put the computer to sleep a third time, this time knowing the display profile was set to  sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Upon waking and doing a search, I still saw the quick flash of gray, blank plex but the program did not crash. (I know the logs are cumulative, but I've included this one as a third in case that makes it easier to follow.)

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version - Name: Screen_Shot_2016-11-21_at_10.00.55_AM.png, Views: 90, Size: 236.11 KB
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
mcaton
Thanks for pointing this out.  Indeed, it may be another 5K issue.  I've handed this over to engineering for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
Hi Dan,

Good news. We just got one of the new 15" MacBook Pros with Touch Bar and "wide color" just like your 5K iMac and I have been able to reproduce the exact same error that you reported here and on another thread (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/8300033).

The short version is I think this is fixed in the next release.

The long version if anyone cares: Sadly, Apple does not seem to have tested high performance low level rendering to wide color mode very thoroughly or they think that anyone doing it won't mind doing some of their troubleshooting for them. I believe that all of the problems are due to conflicts between 24 bit and 32 bit color transformations of rendering surfaces and bitmaps. The next release includes code that should force the necessary changes to the rendering settings as they are needed. Basically, the first fix we did for this back in October made did these changes on a one-time basis, expecting that the ground would not shift beneath our feet. This new fix adjusts our footing every time the ground does indeed shift.

Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
That, sir, is fantastic news. Thank you.
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software