Fantastic
I have been a long proponent of TheBrain technologies. Last year, while working in a military regional headquarters, I was asked to do a functional analysis of all the personnel currently employed by the headquarters, and determine the structure of all the org charts IOT perform an amalgamation between the Army, Navy, and Air force, such that the organizations were aligned by function under a single command rather than by individual element. For example, the human resources, admin, and IT sections had been duplicated for each branch of the military under separate commands and were now being brought together by a joint command. 

The results were quite staggering in that I was able to plot the functions and personnel using the existing org charts and then quickly map the corresponding functions. The demonstration allowed me to show the redundancies and to highlight areas of significant savings potential throughout the restructuring.

This work showcased the potential of TheBrain Technologies and allowed for a well informed command team.
ShelleyHayduk
Sounds like a great use case. We have a number of customers using both PersonalBrain and BrainEKP for identifying redundancies in operations, staffing and services. Companies who are growing by mergers and acquisitions are ideal candidates here.

We also have several applications for managing military and project requirements. If certain conditions are not met you can set the relevant precursors in the visual interface. Conversely, if you modify a link or connection you can see the impact this has on things.  Did you try our expanded views in PB 4.0 Beta? Expanded views work particularly well for impact assessment.
Shelley
dthede

I am using v4 to support similar analyses, pursuant to the general Transformation directives which have come down in a variety of gov't organizations.  See my comments elsewhere describing things I need with Link and Thought type recommendations.

dthede
Fantastic
New job posting since I last responded to the board here.
I'm now arranging the organization with an eye on succession planning, so I'm back to the org charts, but each position has historical and future planning thoughts.  Each candidate has a history of positions and future planning also. So, I can see who has been in a position and who will be in the position. I can see where a person has been and where they are going. I can see the function of the role and map the succession based on similar functional experiances of the candidates. I can track problems in a position back to a person having problems in another area even if the person was not the cause of the problem or if the person came from another position.

Yet... I really want more. I need more integration and thought programming.

Greg
Brain Junkie.  
mbaas
Greg, this sounds very interesting, I'd love to see some pieces of that. Of course the "real data" has to stay confidential, but it would be really great if you could post a few screenshots with anonounymized data, just to illustrate the concepts...
Or maybe even a sample brain? 

Fantastic
This thread came back to mind while discussing another topic.

Right now I have my org chart for the year and I have another org chart for last year etc.

What I really want is ONE org chart with the positions which I will use to link people to the positions. Then, those links will be date/time dependant so that the links are Dynamic rather than static. Maybe even include a tool so I can look at history and see who was in a position (or member of group) on a certain date.

This would be VERY helpful for anyone using this program for organizational structure.
mbaas
I think it should be possible to emulate this by attaching jump thoughts defining the period of validity, maybe you have "unit 1,chief" and then jumps for
"unit 1,chief,current", "unit 1",chief,2010", "unit 1,chief,history" with children for 2007, 2008 etc.

Sure, not as elegant as time-dependent links, but available today
Harlan
You can't add filterable time based links, but you can do something similar using PB 5.5.:
  1. Create tags for your time periods (IE 2008, 2009, 2010).
  2. Create an intervening thoughts between the person and the position. You could call them "is the" so that it reads PERSON is the POSITION.
  3. Tag the "is the" thoughts with the applicable time period.
  4. Use inverse filtering to remove the time periods you want to ignore.
  5. Switch to expanded normal view.
Only one problem... Currently you can't use the custom report to generate a report on multiple tags with "OR" functionality so you will only be able to filter one year at a time. However, this "OR" functionality is being added.
Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
Or, alternatively (this is doable right now!):

4. Do a custom report in which you "-" the tags for the periods you're not interested in and apply this as a normal filter

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software