eeik
I'm unsure if I should log this here as a feature request or send it to the support team since, realistically, this behavior is an undesirable design defect 🐜 that I'd consider a bug when viewed through the right lens 🔍

Given my "icon file size bloat" discovery and the workaround I shared, I know for a fact that thought icons stored within the "Icon.png" file do not necessarily get processed and stored as PNG files. GIFs work just fine (their animation is not honored by the plex ... yet), JPGs work, and even WEBP images work surprisingly.

... anyhow, even though they all get saved with the ".png" extension, I've discovered that they only seem to get mutated by TheBrain in some way when "pasting" an image to the thought icon or "copying from" an image already attached to the thought. Both of these cases seem to default to PNG files which generally makes sense, especially for screenshots and for copied images with transparency enabled, but for certain types of images, this doesn't make sense at all.

As documented within the link noted above, copied images and screenshots when "pasted" to the thought icon can have their file size bloated by staggeringly excessive factors. Below is one example, only 3x boat vs. the 800+% observed elsewhere:
Copy to Icon Bloat.png 
Can the team please review the internals of this process and add the appropriate business logic to differentiate between different input source image types and make a proper judgement call on which types of files should be "copied" directly as is (i.e. JPG images that don't have text in them render as expected when left as-is and don't improve when being converted to PNG files which only serves to take up unnecessary disk space) vs. optionally (config setting?) having the icon output mutation be optimized from source images that are 2x, 3x or more the size of the maximum viewable thumbnail within a user's plex (i.e. large photos from digital cameras, resize them to maybe 1.15x max resolution, which is a lossy operation, of course, but this is still fine for certain classes of images). The attached image is not modified or destroyed, so the source is in tact to work from elsewhere, but the thumbnail can be optimized in many cases with image quality remaining appropriate for TheBrain's use.

If the team would like for me to put together a rough outline of the standard and edge cases surrounding this issue, I could be persuaded to contribute further but with history as a guide, I'm not sure that's time well spent on my part at this time.

In my logfile explorations, I've discovered evidence of potential memory leaks and have been experiencing a great number of hard crashes related to OutOfMemory Exceptions and these sorts of optimizations should be considered for resolution as "bugs" vs. "new features" through my lens. Opening a thought with 100+ child thoughts and having the resize process kick off and chug through a whole series of "Icon.png" files that are not pre-optimized in any way is a recipe for performance degradation at best, and, as I'm oh so familiar with at this point which continues to drive me back to the forums here to plead my case, hard crashes all too frequently. 😞
mcaton
Eric,

Posting here is fine. I'll forward a link on the the engineering team.

Thank you,
Matt
eeik
mcaton wrote:
I'll forward a link on the the engineering team.
👍

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software