westbroek
When right-clicking on an internal file (in Windows) I'd love to be able to see some explorer context menu entries OR, as they do in some FTP software, an entry that lets me switch to the explorer context menu. This way I could perform some file actions w/o going Open Thought Folder etc.
mbaas
+1

Dys, have you been able to come up with a way of linking that would do this?

mbaas
Well, I was curious to see what you exactly meant, so thanks, this answered my question

But you actually do not need to add this extra folder: when you r-click an external attachment, context-menu has an item "Open folder containing attachment" (or similar, I'm using german version here). And for internal attachments there is of course "Open thought folder", as westbroek mentioned. But both clutter the desktop with new windows, so it would surely be preferreable to have std-windows context-menu integrated. (I know this is a tough excercise, but I know a dev who did it for his software and (since I'm also using that sw) it is pretty useful, as expected )

westbroek
This is what I mean.

When I right-click on a folder or file in my FTP program, one of the context menu entries is "Explorer Menu..."

Clicking that option brings up the right-click context menu as-if you right-clicked the file/folder from within Windows Explorer. Click image for larger version - Name: ftp.png, Views: 143, Size: 5.45 KB
westbroek
Dude, if you right-click a file in Explorer, I seriously hope you don't only see Open With... Standard you should also see Send To...

What else do I have there? Add To Archive (from WinRAR), convert to PDF (Adobe), Carbonite (back this file up online or not), etc. etc.

The Windows Explorer context menu gives access to a host of things one can do with or to a file/folder -- not just opening it
westbroek
Quote:
That's probably the most we can expect

Rubbish. Adding it is a UI step; the call is completely Windows API.

I think you sometimes like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. You suggest how the Explorer content menu should be brought even closer (your words) and then say:

Quote:
Also there are dangers in doing too much with a file inside PB, for example inadvertently renaming it via Explorer context menu so that its target location to PB becomes altered

Say what? It's like your text is the result of a Markov chain

You can rename a file inside PB at any moment w/o any problem. The "target location to PB becomes altered" is ... rubbish. A file inside PB has no "target location to PB" ...
Darkstar
Well, you mean other then saving a click or two?

I can see where people that have some sort of encryption/decryption applied to a document they've got stored inside their brain might want to, oh, say, decrypt the item and then open it. Considering PB doesn't have any encryption/decryption this would be the ONLY way currently to encrypt your "internally" stored data.

There are other things. Consider graphics--- I might want to shoot a picture I've got stored internally in PB to email or to a USB thumb drive. That Explorer "Send To..." option would be quite handy then. Or I might want to resize that graphics, to make a smaller version to use as a wallpaper in that very brain running on a laptop, instead of on my HUGE work monitor.

So, sure, you aren't doing it everytime, but it does save a few clicks when you ARE going to do it, so it seems like a reasonable request to have it around--- if it doesn't cost us anything noticable as users.
-Darkstar
mbaas
dyslucksia wrote:

I suppose that they could add Open Attachment's Containing Folder to the Attachment icon's context menu too (underneath Open Thought Folder) - not a bad idea, eh? PB team, what do you think of this?

Dys, isn't that amazing? Finally the glorious Dev-Team has implemented your suggestion even before you have been able to spell it out properly! (see attached screenshot w german menu, but I trust you will find it in the english menu, too )
Click image for larger version - Name: 08.04.png, Views: 88, Size: 6.73 KB
mbaas
Sorry Dys, I misunderstood, you're right. You wanted to have that added to the thoughts contextmenu. I guess that would be difficult, because a thought could have multiple attachments (at least in Pro), so you might end up with a cluttered context-menu. Or you'd need a "Open Attachment Folder"-submenu listing the various directories...
eeik
Archaeological forum digging reveals this ages old thread that I would love to see considered. A single function expansion for the "right-click" action within the thought's attachment list should do the trick...
New Action Here.png 

*IFF* the file exists within the local file structure and/or is presently accessible on a local network share, then allowing for the Windows Explorer Context Menu to be invoked directly from within TheBrain is a slick addition to shave off extra time and clicks to invoke deeper functionality that Windows provides for files. This seems to be a fairly common action within modern apps that feature some sort of expressive interaction with the files stored on the local file system ... much like TheBrain does. Thoughts on considering this feature?
mbaas
Yes, nice idea - that's useful! :-)
+1

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software