korm
OS X 10.11.5

1. In a thought, click "+"
2. Click "Text Document" under Templates
3. An rtf with the name if the thought is created ("thought.rtf", e.g.,)
4. OS X TextEdit immediately throws an error: "The document thought.rtf could not be opened"
5. Reveal that document in Finder and attempt to open in TextEdit: same error

The template is probably corrupt (or outdated?).
mcaton
Paul,

I'll test this on a few more Macs in the office - but I'm not seeing just the plain "Text Document" on my list.  I have a few other text options - probably due to what I have installed.  Can you send/post a quick screenshot of your Templates List? 

Thanks,
Matt
korm
mcaton wrote:
I'll test this on a few more Macs in the office - but I'm not seeing just the plain "Text Document" on my list.  I have a few other text options - probably due to what I have installed.  Can you send/post a quick screenshot of your Templates List? 

Sure.  It's a long list so I posted an image here:

http://d.pr/i/tWXh

The left side is the list that appears in Add Attachment > Templates.  The right side is the list that appears in ~/.TheBrain/v9/Templates/System.   The document that appears on the right side list as "RTF Document.rtf" does not appear by that name in the Template's list on the left side.  The document with the name "Text Document" actually opens the "RTF Document.rtf" file.  

It turned out that "RTF Document.rtf" could not be opened by OS X TextEdit -- and that's the root of the error I first posted.  How the rest of this got complicated -- beats me [confused][confused][confused][confused]

----

Edit: I downloaded the 9.0.94.0 DMG and extracted Templates.zip from that -- the content is different than my files in ~/.TheBrain/v9/Templates/System.  So, I'm guessing that the contents of that folder never get replaced, just over-written when new releases come out -- which is why I have incrementally more files than the current install package contains.  I also confirm that "RTF Document.rtf" in the current install package is not corrupt, so the problem I reported was local, not global.

(I’ve never added my own templates to TheBrain v9 but I do have my own templates in v8 -- is it possible they get copied over to v9?)
mcaton
Excellent observations.  I'll document this for the engineers to review.  

Thanks, 
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software