Fantastic
I sometimes end up with duplicate thoughts because the program does not recognise that the new thought already exists elsewhere.

It sure would be nice to have a feature where theBrain tried to find duplicate or very similar thoughts and merge them into one thought.

For example, I put in a list of classes (multi thought creation with the semicolon trick) and then put in the list of students in each class. It would be SO nice if theBrain searched the students in each class and merged them so that there was only one instance of each student. That way I would automatically know all the classes that student is in. 

jroeterd

Just add the students 1 at a time. Assuming you have the students as childs of your class-thought it should be something like hitting F6, then entering the name (or better yet a part of a name), use arrow-keys to select the right student if multiple are found and hit enter. 

For my job I give courses (max. 10 participants) and I add them like this. Quit fast and even less typing because of the suggestions made by PB.

Greetings,

Jeroen

Fantastic

No way that could work. There are 13 hundred students with another couple hundred every year. This is about automation and linking stuff on lists. For example, if someone sends me a list of students that are going on a course, I'm not going to enter each one by hand. This is 1300 students taking 8 courses per year plus summer training and a whole lot of other info. I would have to spend all my time entering data if I had to do it all by hand. This brain runs the student data for an entire university. The info is coming to me from other people who create lists. It has to be automated...

jroeterd
Ah... I understood it was for your personal use for the classes you teach. Then it will not work. I have no idea how to do it then. Mayby someone else ...

Good luck...

Greetings,
Jeroen
bfisher
I've done this before - and I believed it worked like you are looking for - it popped up a dialogue box saying "xxx already exists, what do you want to do?" letting me link to existing or create new thought.

I was doing this using Edit | Paste Outline function.

zenrain
Building on Dyslucksia's input a bit, you could create a thought super type as Students, with subtypes of Students - Current and Students - Inactive.

You could then run a report by the Student super type and get a (semi) condensed Student only thought list to compare. Setting the type to Students-Active would reduce the list to sort though even more.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Fantastic
I think I'm getting into the area of automation in sorting thoughts in theBrain. This same problem has popped up this weekend when I loaded up theBrain on my home laptop to sort out some information on my car.

I am researching Ford Toploader transmissions so that I can put the right parts into my 1969 Mustang. I found a nice chart of toploader ID codes at http://www.namwot.com/transidchart.htm and I instictively imported the data into Excel and added columns of commas and semi-colons to start making a thought matrix of this data.

Damn...this trick no onger works in V5 (it did in V4)

I suddenly realised that it would be so nice if theBrain could build itself based on a series of excel spreadsheets. Even better if we could filter visible thoughts based on the spreadsheet filters. Suddenly my brain has thoughts ready long before I even think of them. If the Excel spreadsheet is identified as a thought type (ie. Brain thought sheet) and the program built it's own relations...oh the posibilities. Now add a function that tells the program to grab another (persons) brain file and mesh those thoughts with my own..Oh gosh...going beyond independant thought. I'd better stop. This is too much fun to think about.
bfisher
Quote:
Damn...this trick no onger works in V5 (it did in V4)

I've done this in V5 (at least what I think you're talking about).  Did you try copying the excel data and use the Paste Outline function in PB?  It worked for me (if I understand what you are trying to do)
Fantastic
Thanks Bfisher, the "paste outline" function seems to do the job. I added columns of commas as before and this function spat out all the thoughts I was expecting. Didn't even have to put semi-colons at the end of each row.

I am still looking for a solution that will seek out and merge the same or similar thoughts.

andreas

Dear Brainteam 

Is there an update on the "merge two thoughts theme"? Such a feature would sure be very handy indeed.

Thanks!
Andreas

mcaton
Thanks for posting. There is a Report in v11 for Duplicate Names.  This will create a list of all Thoughts with similar names. From there, it's a manual process to visit these thoughts, review and repair.

dupNames.png 

Thank you,
Matt
andreas

Thanks, Matt. I was not aware of this report feature. 

Nonetheless, it would be very nice, if I could merge 2 thoughts automatically. Maybe if I could create a jump thought between the thoughts and click on the connection and press "merge"?

Cheers, Andreas 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software