pchees2008 Show full post »
charlie999
pchees2008 wrote:

Brain Version:  4.1.3.2
Java: 1.6.0_02
Op Sys: Windows XP

Hi

I recently upgraded my version and now the search function no longer works. When I try to search for anything it comes back with nothing even with items I know that are there.

I have tried to rebuild the search index but it does not begin and states that there are no attached web pages when I have hundreds

I have tried to rebuild the web page index but the same problem.

Any ideas what's wrong?

pchees2008

Just trialing this software. Well I was just about to say it was brilliant when the search function decided to pack in. It came back next day but has stopped again.

2 hours ago I had 15 elements for one particular search. Now I have 1. If this is what I can expect if I buy it then I will be looking elsewhere for some alternative software.

Without search this software serves absolutely no purpose
charlie999
Further to my last post I have just rebuilt the index and the serach function has started to function properly again.

However this is still very concerning when you get 15 results one minute and then just 1 the next.

Clearly the search function is going from identifying all relevant entries to only recognising thoughts.

To my mind this must be a bug in the system.

Using version4

Harlan
ChrisCase wrote:
I've asked before, but got no answer to the question:  where is the actual Index of webpages?  I assumed it would be in the INDEX subdirectory of the brain folder,  in the  PersonalContent or PersonalThoughts subfolders. but the only files there over a megabyte have modification dates of no later than Oct 2007.  If I instruct PB to rebuild the webpages search index,  it appears to be doing that,  but I find nothing changing except the log file,  and on completion, Search finds only thoughts, with no results at all that are in webpages.

Chris, I don't recall ever seeing this question before. The index directory does store the search index. PersonalContent contains the content (attachments, labels, notes, tags, etc). Are you sure you are looking at the correct folder? Something must have changed since Oct 2007 unless you are not using that Brain. As described earlier by Danny, If you post your
Indexing.log, IndexBuilder.log and UrlIndexBuilder.log files, we can see what might be going wrong.

Search of Web pages will not work if you are behind a firewall which prevents PB from downloading files from the Web. It sounds like this could be the problem on your machine.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
charlie999 wrote:
Further to my last post I have just rebuilt the index and the serach function has started to function properly again.

However this is still very concerning when you get 15 results one minute and then just 1 the next.

Clearly the search function is going from identifying all relevant entries to only recognising thoughts.

To my mind this must be a bug in the system.

Using version4

Hi Charlie,

All of the incidents of problems with search we have investigated so far have been resolved. The only case where search results would appear and then later disappear would be if your search index was somehow corrupted. In one case this was happening because of a hardware issue.

If you encounter this issue again, please post the log files from your _brain folder: Indexing.log, IndexBuilder.log, UrlIndexBuilder.log and Search.log immediately following the occurence of the problem. Also, the output.log file from your PersonalBrain program folder would be good.

This will allow us to find out what is going wrong.
Regards,
-Harlan
charlie999
Hi Harlan,

Brain Support are having a look at this and I will attempt to post the information you ask for if this continues.

roypierce
I installed the trial version and was very interested when i red that PB could also search in attachments like WORD documents. So i did a test to see it myself, but discoverd that a word wich was in the document was not found.
The word document is internal to PB. Then i looked in the file called IndexBuilder and saw the following line in the log:

6. Indexing thought Phoenix,7 - beoord Marijn [Success]
       Indexing thought attachment Phoenix,7.5 - beoord Marijn.doc
         Converting attachment beoord Marijn.doc to txt\5.txt [Error: Can not convert input file - C:\Users\Henri\Documents\Vakantie_brain\Files\FD2CC43F-BAC7-916F-E336-478D1A6F8723\beoord Marijn.doc]

So the file could not be converted? It is an ordinary word document and could be opened by WORD.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software