NorthFarm
Hi.

When I enter something into a Note I cannot find it using the "Search"-button. Notes that was entered a while ago (sorry, I can't be more precise) can be found!

I've made a new brain and created a thought called A and entered "post" without the quotes in the notes field. Then I created two additional thoughts called "Posten DK" and "Posten SE". The later shows up in instant search, but when I click Search nothing is found in the Search tab.

The same behaviour is found on three different installations in both old, semi-old and new brains.

Have just invested in TeamBrain for two of my colleagues and they are not impressed [frown]

I'm on 8.0.1.2 and java 1.7.0_67.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 11.0.95.0 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_211
mcaton
Hans,

Thank you for posting and bringing this to our attention.  I've tried replicating this issue, but the search result for my Notes with "post" does come back as a result.  The only exception is when this search is done on the Cloud.  Searches in an online Brain are currently only returning results for Thought Names, not the content.  You are doing this search on the desktop version, correct?

Would it be possible to schedule a web meeting together to review this further? I can be reached directly at Matt@thebrain.com

Thank you,
Matt
NorthFarm
Hi Matt.

I wrote to you by e-mail but you never responded... [confused]

I have investigated the issue a bit further and have found the following:

The word in the notes area I was searching for was: "postmanden" ("Post man" in danish). If I search for "post" it does not show up. If I search for "postmanden" it is found.

So this leads me to conclude that I must search for the exact form for the search button to find it in the notes section.

BUT...

If I search for "kontrol" (Control in danish) it will find both "kontrol" and "kontroller" (control and to control in danish), but not "kontrolleres" (to be controlled in danish)!

If I search for "parame" (first six letters in parameter) it wil find notes containing "$(Param)", "$Params", "param", "PARAM" and "params" but not "parametre" (parameters in danish).

I'm confused...

How does the search button work???

----------------------
mcaton
Hans,

The search actually tries to assume misspellings and variations of words and phrases.  In your example above, kontrol is just 3 letters away from kontroller - so it shows up as a match.  Kontrolleres would be 5 letters away - too far off, no match.  Different lengths of words allow for more or less amount of variations.  Also, the search allows for common additions or variations of words in English (adding an s, ing, ed, .etc)  Adding a 'tre' to the end is not something that the indexing might allow.

Not to make things more complicated, but the instant works a bit differently.  An instant search looks at just individual words and will not allow for any flexibility in misspellings.

Thank you,
Matt

mctrexler
Matt, not sure that fits my search performance.

Instant search for "adapt" turns up 100 or so matches, anything starting with adapt, including adaptation which is 5 additional letters
Conventional search for "adapt" turns up 14 or so matches, including "adaptation" which is 5 additional letters. 

Not sure why the search button only turns up a small fraction of what shows up under the instant search. But the "only carries out to three more characters" doesn't seem to apply. 

Mark
mcaton
Mark,

For this example, TheBrain has an internal synonym list doing it's magic here as well.  "Adapt" is a built in synonym for "adaptation".  Notice that no match will be found for a thought named "adaptQWERT"  ( replace the extra 5 characters of "ation" with "qwert" ).

Thanks,
Matt
enkidu
Hello Matt

am I correct in assuming that the DTSEARCH module handles searches of thought contents (notes, attachments) and that a module internal to TheBrain handles the search of thought names ?

kind regards
enkidu

zenrain
Just as a quick reminder, you can also add your own synonyms (although the file is overwritten every time you upgrade which is really annoying, hint hint). 

I've updated TheBrain User Knowledgebase to include information on how to do this. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
NorthFarm
Hi Matt.

Thank you for explaining this. Now it makes sense. I'm not totally convinced that is always a good thing that it will try to out think you - when it only does that in English..., but at least I can explain my to my colleagues what is going on.

----------------------

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software