batton
Used to be that earlier versions of TheBrain would search for specified words in attachments and display the file in the results; with version 10, that no longer seems to be the case. Can somebody confirm that, or am I doing something wrong?

This was an incredibly useful feature, and if that has been removed, in my opinion would constitute a considerable step backwards.

p.s. I did try to search for this in the forums but was unable to see anything explicit about this. If it has been discussed before, a link to the original discussion thread would be appreciated.
Quote
Cerebrum
Here are some relevant links:
Full text search of attachments
Search by contents of attachments
Page 49 of the TB 10 User Guide.
Quote
batton
Thank you @Cerebrum; to me it seems that Windows Desktop Search must also be configured to index contents of files (otherwise I fail to see how contents could be searched by TheBrain if it is using Windows Desktop Search.

WDS.png 
Quote
Cerebrum
Actually, this is strange. I have "Index Properties Only" and yet I can search attachments.
Also, I don't have the Brains folder as one of the index locations:
Capture4.jpg 
Quote
batton
Hmmm, and after re-indexing I was still unable to search attachments, so I need to dig a bit deeper into this. Thanks for your support!
Quote
batton
@Cerebrum: interesting, I confirm that my home PC is set up as you state, and search in attachments works on that machine ,but not on my laptop. Therefore it is something machine specific. Must investigate more.
Quote
mcaton
Batton,

Content of text attachments should certainly be indexed (by Windows Desktop Search) and therefore searchable in your Brain. 

To check if WDS (Windows Desktop Search) is indexing your drives, click the Windows button and type Indexing, open Indexing Options and click Modify, check the drives you want WDS to search, OK > Advanced > Rebuild

You will need to add the root of the HDD to the list for WDS to index the drive, but you can exclude specific folders after that if you wish.

Next, are you on a non-English version of Windows? We have seen a case where results are not returned due to the way Windows translates the path. For example, The C:\users\%USERNAME%... path in German is sometimes visualized as C:\Benutzer\%USERNAME%... If this is the case, try using Preferences > System to change the location to a different location such as C:\Brains, then add that location to Windows search (click Windows button, then type "Indexing" to open Indexing Options, click "Modify", and then navigate to C:\Brains and check the box next to it).

Thank you,
Matt
Quote
batton
OK I clarified a few things:
1) Indexing of contents is on a per file type setting; I thought it was a global setting. I added a new file type extension ipynb and did not set that to index contents; as soon as I did that, it fixed the problem.
Quote
mcaton
Great update! - Thanks Batton.

Matt
Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software