Kriggel23
When I add two thoughts to the selection, the function "Edit > Select Path Between" should select all thoughts on any path between those two thoughts and add them to the selection as well. Am I right?

thought A - has relation R1 to - any thought X - has relation R2 to - thought B; where A != B and R1 != R2

If so, there should be no "dead end"-thought, correct?

Please review the "Select Path Between"-function. There ARE "dead end"-thoughts.

Kriggel23

P.S. I'm not sure, whether I should understand "Select Path Between" as "select SHORTEST path between" or "select ALL paths between" - and which one I prefer...
Harlan
Please post an example of the dead ends you are describing including a brz if necessary. The function selects all variations of the shortest path.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
Created all thoughts and their relations 1:1 from the "dead end"-test within an TB9 test brain, selected start and end thought, selected path between.
In "dead end"-brain: 36 thoughts selected.
In test brain: 27.

How this? The "shortest path" should base upon thoughts and their relations only?

Kriggel23
Harlan
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to describe. Are you saying it selected more thoughts than exist in the brain? I don't think I'll understand unless you can share screenshots and/or a brz...
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
In the "dead end"-brain I selected two thoughts, and triggered the function "Select Path Between".
The selection list than contained 36 thoughts.
Those 36 thoughts I created manually in a second, a test brain, together with their relations.
In this test brain, I again selected the same (well, corresponding) two thoughts as within the "dead end"-brain.
After "Select Path Between", the selection list of this test brain hold 27 thoughts.

There are absolute no special links (one direction).

Just an idea - does the "Select Path Between"-function ignore forgotten thoughts, or not?

Kriggel23

mcaton
No - Select Path Between will look for a path containing Forgotten Thoughts as well - could this be the cause of your discrepancy?

Thanks,
Matt
Kriggel23
Nop - "Options > Show Forgotten Thoughts" is set. Path contains dead ends.

Btw.: what sense does it make to include forgotten thoughts into shortest path list, especially if not displayed? You can not/should not drive on a closed road.

Kriggel23

Harlan
The inclusion of forgotten thoughts is due to complexity of querying and the resulting performance. Calculating the shortest path would take much much longer if it had to check if thoughts were forgotten and eliminate them from the network search. It's not impossible, it's just much slower.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
The result of "Select Path Between" contains dead ends.

The current way of calculating the shortest path may be fast, but it is wrong!
I will accept the result if it is right, even if it takes a bit longer.

Kriggel23

Harlan
The logic that calculates the shortest path is fairly complex... Sorry, but there is no way for me to investigate this further unless you can show me what is happening and we can see what might be causing an issue or if there is some other explanation for what you are seeing.

Please post an example of the dead ends you are describing including a brz if necessary.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
I've just send you a brz.
It's weird, really. You will find within this brain all 36 thoughts before. Start and end thought are pinned, and named, well, "Start" and "End".

Now:
Add "Start" and "End" to selection list.
Call function "Edit > Select Path Between".
Verify the selection list.

In original brain: 36 thoughts listed in selection list,
in manual re-created brain: 27 thoughts;
in this brain, you will see two thoughts, with heading: "Selected (3)"  ?! And TB9 states, that these two thoughts are only two click away from each other? (They are not.)

Hope, it helps.

Kriggel23

mcaton
Kriggel,

Thanks for the update.  Did you send the BRZ directly to Harlan?  You can also post on our secure upload site at http://www.hightail.com/u/TheBrain .

Thank you,
Matt
mcaton
Kriggel,

Scratch that.  I just found the Brain in Hightail.  I didn't recognize the sender without your Kriggel handle! [smile]

We'll begin testing.

Thanks,
Matt
mcaton
Kriggel,

Thank you again for sharing this Brain. I've replicated the issue with the Select Path Between feature in this specific Brain and have submitted it to engineering for further review.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software