Adathome

PB visual user interface is no exact reflection of the way data are stored in the internal database.  At this moment it is not possible to choose a meaningful link-type expression between two thoughts.  

To choose a meaningful link-type expression between two thoughts for example thought A <is a specialization of> thought B it is necessary to see the direction of the link between these two thoughts, A runs to B.

PB visual user interface is only showing a part of the information (a link-type expression without direction).    

The processing of a link between two thoughts goes as follows; 

PB visual user interface:

You start at an thought and dragging (from the parent, child or jump gate) a link to another thought, now you has a link between two thoughts but after you have finished dragging this link  you can’t see where you started! 

PB database processing:

Of every link between two thoughts you created a number of data is stored in PB database among other things the guid of the link himself, the guid of the thought where you start dragging the link which in the database is classified as idA and the guid of the thought where you finish with the link which is classified as idB.

You can  conclude that every link between two thoughts gets a direction, it runs from the thought where you start (idA) towards the thought where you finish (idB).

(It does not make a difference it concerns a visual parent or child thought, active or non active thought.) 

The lack in PB visual interface is that you only see a link-type expression and not the direction of that link in accordance with the database structure (thought idA à idB).

The user of PB is by the intuitive manner of making a link not aware that the thought where he start drawing a link is the start of a direction from that link between these two thoughts.  

On this moment it is very difficult to use meaningful link-type expression because you need to be aware from witch thought you start dragging a link and at the same time you need to choose the correct link-type expression. When you choose your link-type expression based on the parent or child location in the plex then it is uncertain if this is a meaningful link-type according PB data structure (thought idA à idB).   

The solution for this can’t be so difficult when PB is showing the link-type expression and on the same moment show a sign so you can see which thought is thought idA according PB database structure.

Exchange link-type information between PB and other databases using the XML export function is on this moment unreliable because the reasons mentioned above.

I hope the Personal Brain team will give some reaction on this post.

see also discussion here:
http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3490758
Click image for larger version - Name: 27-5-2009_PB_information_link.png, Views: 590, Size: 410.33 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 27-5-2009_drawing_link_from_idA_to_idB.png, Views: 513, Size: 151.12 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: 27-5-2009_drawing_link_from_idB_to_idA.png, Views: 513, Size: 164.98 KB Click image for larger version - Name: z_1-6-2009_code_DIR_1-2-3_in_PB.png, Views: 460, Size: 58.93 KB
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
Adathome

dyslucksia wrote:
Ad, I see what you're getting at now. So you're saying that the links in PB's database are (secretly) directional, depending on how they were created in the first place,yet they do no appear directional in the Plex.

Yes that is what i try to explain.

dyslucksia wrote:

In that case, it behoves (behooves if you're American) us to think carefully about direction before we create a link by drag-n-drop.

Worse, if we create a link by dragging a non-active Thought towards the active Thought, we don't know in which direction the link is being created, do we.

Yes you do, the thought where you start drawing the link is classified as "idA"

dyslucksia wrote:

There's a brilliant (?) feature in URL attachment properties where you click an icon to swap name and label. Maybe the PB team should add one to the link creation box to reverse the direction of the link.

Yes that feature you need after they make the direction of the link visible.

dyslucksia wrote:

What software do you use to display the database like that?

Using the PB XML export file and two stylesheets one for links and one for thoughts, see zipfile below. Put the files from the zip file in one directory and open the xml file with (windows) internet explorer

You can also use the program XMLfox see graphic below or the XML import function in Excel 2007.

Click image for larger version - Name: 31-5-2009_XMLfox_advance.png, Views: 492, Size: 135.61 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 31-5-2009_XML_import_excel_2007.png, Views: 482, Size: 265.43 KB
mcaton
Thank you for for the insightful information.  I'll be sure to forward this on to our engineering team for their review!

Thank you,
Matt
Adathome

mcaton wrote:
Thank you for for the insightful information.  I'll be sure to forward this on to our engineering team for their review!

Thank you,
Matt

Matt are you sure the engineering team received this post?
untill now (one month later) i don't see any reaction. 
jostber
Would not this be solved by getting an option to have arrows on the links like what is available in BrainEKP?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Harlan
Hi All,

Yes, PB stores directional information about links. PB's database was designed from the beginning with many features in mind that have been planned for a while, but are not yet implemented.
Regards,
-Harlan
Adathome

Harlan wrote:
Hi All,
Yes, PB stores directional information about links. PB's database was designed from the beginning with many features in mind that have been planned for a while, but are not yet implemented.

Harlan thanks for the confirmation that PB stores directional information about links
i hope that this directional information will soon be visualized in PB plex

Yes i know PB has the strategy not to tell anything about new features before this feature is realized. 

What can we, users do to convince the PersonalBrain-team to implement the visualization of directional links A.S.A.P in PB plex?

Somebody an suggestion...  
zenrain
I'd say continue to add votes for it in the uservoice forum. Currently it's eighth, so I'm guessing it's already on their "hmmm, I think people want this feature" list.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Adathome

zenrain wrote:
I'd say continue to add votes for it in the uservoice forum. Currently it's eighth, so I'm guessing it's already on their "hmmm, I think people want this feature" list.

1e, when you count (today 12 july 2009);
- more advanced link types     60 Votes  http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/74550-more-advanced-link-types
- typed links have a direction  45 votes   http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/4597-personalbrain/suggestions/83489-typed-links-have-a-direction
you get together 105 Votes => number five on the list!!
NOT YET IN THE USERSVOICE ACCEPTED IDEA LIST .... maybe more votes will help? but more votes is not a guarantee for acceptation and realization! 

2e, more linktype features are already implemented in the design of PB database (link-label forward, link label backward) and planned for a long time
but the visual interface is not yet changed for this features.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software