taoy
I've got a brain setup on a computer at work. I'd like to share it on my laptop.

Are there any recommendations on how to share a brain across two machines?

I imagine I could setup network access to the files; I imagine that there would be locking issues possibly?

Thanks,
Joe
NorthFarm
Generally The Brain does not recommend to share Brain files as there is a risk of corrupting the Brain file. If you search the forum you will find a lot of threads describing this issue. I use a USB hard drive and simply carry my Brain with me.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 11.0.95.0 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_211
bfisher
adding to northfarm's comment - if i remember correctly - search here for "dropbox" for a potential way to do this
zenrain
I added some info for DropBox here also: http://groups.google.com/group/personalbrain-users/web/syncing-personalbrain-databases
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
taoy

Thanks guys for the info. That was what I expected, nice to have it confirmed.
tonyg
Originally posted by NorthFarm

"Generally The Brain does not recommend to share Brain files as there is a risk of corrupting the Brain file. If you search the forum you will find a lot of threads describing this issue. I use a USB hard drive and simply carry my Brain with me."

I have the same problem and I am trying your solution now, but I find the access much slower from the USB drive (4GB Toshiba thumb drive) than from the computers hard drive - to the extent that it is almost unworkable. (May be a function of the laptop as its a bit overworked and needs some tlc)

I first thought of using the Offline Files function in Vista, storing the main file on my desktop at home and syncing an offline version to the laptop for use when I'm away from the computer. Has anyone tried with any success? Is this also not recommended by The Brain?

I currently use two main Brains - 1 for work stuff on the laptop and one for home stuff on the desktop, but this is not a clear definition and there ends up being an overlap. I can log on to my laptop Brain over the network (wireless) but again it is slow.

Anyone know of any other resources to manage this problem?

Darkstar
If your brains aren't too big, you could STORE them on a free online storage site, pull them down and access them where you need them. The challenge in that is remembering to brainzip your brain when done, and then re-uploading it.

You could use a online syncher, such as DropBox or other online service--- those are reported to work fine, so long as you don't have the same brain open in multiple locations at the same time.

You could just install PB where you need it, brainzip your brains, and put them on USB thumb drives. Then you get the performance of being installed on the HD while moving the data about. Downside is again, remembering to brainzip your work when you are done for the day and moving it manually, but it does provide you with a daily (and however long you want) record of your work.
-Darkstar
tonyg
Thanks for the info.

Seems like nothing is perfect. Syncing with an on line service may fall foul of the company firewall and using a brainzip and USB gives concerns over the time to unzip and rezip - an losing the USB, although you get the automatic backup.

I may try the Vista Offline files feature and see how that works as this seems to give the best solution - theoretically. If so I'll report back with the outcome.

Currently my brain file is 2.5Gb with around 2,500 thoughts but I am planning to merge another brain with it and then grow with around 2 more GB of data waiting to go in. Not massive but quite a lot to move around frequently.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software