Diego
Hi.

Moving thoughts is a bit complicated, in my opinion. Even when they are side by side (sharing the same parent).

For example, It would be a lot easier to:
Shift click and drag the thought over (or near) the destination.
Thanks
bookeater
I would love to see implementation in PB an ability to not only position thoughts in any order you like but also customly position thought in any place on the plex. Sort of freedom of movement that M$ Onenote offers to anyone with any content on the page.

dyslucksia
Your pic shows Normal View. What are your reasons for not doing this in Expanded View, where you can rearrange the positions of your Thoughts, then save the view when you're happy with the way it looks?
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
bookeater
Quote:
Your pic shows Normal View. What are your reasons for not doing this in Expanded View, where you can rearrange the positions of your Thoughts, then save the view when you're happy with the way it looks?

Sorry I'm quite convinced the view above is expanded (distant thoughts are present, and I pressed the "+" for sure).
Unless I'm not aware of this but PB doesn't allow you to drag the thought in order to change their order or pick any spot for it on the plex. You can only do as you mentioned above: "you can link a Thought ....simply by dragging its body close to the Active Thought in whatever position you want the relationship to be, then dropping it." - But that's not exactly as to move thoughts on the plex anywhere you like and let them stay there.

Saving the view for every active thought would be very time consuming. And beside, my point is that it would be more efficient if PB was saving such changes in the background without my constant knowledge of this. For example when you close your Brain you don't need to worry to save all newly created thoughts as they are saved instantly after creation. So in my simplistic view why it couldn't apply to the view too.

zenrain
The image attached is Normal > Expand All mode, which doesn't allow you to place thoughts manually. However, View > New Expanded or View > Last Expanded will allow you to place thoughts manually on the plex. It will also save the locations as long as you don't choose New Expanded the next time you use that view.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
bookeater
Sorry my bad - I have got confused in basic difference between Expanded View and Normal View +Expand All
Now I'm aware that I can arrange thoughts manually on the plex. However, after some time playing with it I found that my plex gets cluttered and messy (in the Expanded View). I really prefer the Normal view +expand all - since it shows me the most relevant thoughts and it could be so useful to do exactly what Expanded View offers - manual arrangement and order.

Apologies if I drift somewhat off topic

bookeater
Thanks to you all for feedback! I really appreciate it.
As to how differentiate between this different views maybe EV should be named 'global' - this is only name that comes to my head right now.

I tried EV for quite a while now and I find that it brings to many thoughts which are too irrelevant for my consideration. Closing and expanding individual thoughts too make this perfect plex is just too much time consuming. I'd rather still stick normal expanded view as it displays most relevant thoughts for my needs. It would just tipping on the ice cake to be able to put them around the plex anyway you like.

Outline View is great in many apsects! Though only thing that budges me(I always find some) is that I'd love to be able to see parent thoughts of all children down in the list maybe in the form of distant thoughts.

Quote:
Manual rearrangement (sorting) of Thought names in Normal View is frequently requested but as far as I know, has never been promised.

you right it has been requested many times. I remember that in some of the post Harlan mentioned that it would be technically very difficult to achieve this sort of flexibility for Normal View.

Once more thanks for livid discussion!

Darkstar
Don't know why. It was present in version 1, 2, and 3 in PB. Well, manual ORDERING of thoughts.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software