PaulaO
I'm trying out using TB as my main file container. Because, I am assuming, that makes them available wherever I am.

However, I'm finding locating them kinda difficult. And with TB running (because the files are in there) and then LibreOffice running, it can get rather slow on my elderly puter.

But I can't seem to find a way to add a desktop shortcut that goes directly to where the folder/file is within the brain. Not from TB itself. Is the only way to do this is to find them in the folder location and make a shortcut from there?

I see there's a "copy folder" option but I believe that is different. If I make a change to the one in TB it is not reflected in the copy on the desktop. Correct?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Spell checkers aren't worth shirt.

Writers and editors have their own demon. Typo is his mane.
metta
Whether the changes in a file are duplicated in both locations depends upon whether the files are simply linked or duplicated in the brain.

In the interest of avoiding terrible confusion, I never create duplicate copies of files stored on my hard drive or in my megabrain. (For the same reason, I would not copy folders.)

Instead, I either:
  • move the file into the brain and place a link to the file on my hard drive or
  • keep the file on my hard drive and place a link to the file in the brain.
Which option you use depends upon:
  • how comfortable you feel storing files inside your brain and
  • whether you need to access your files remotely using brain.
As for creating a link to file stored in your brain, simply open the thought folder where the file is located, and then right click on the file to create a shortcut to the file which can be placed anywhere on your hard drive. (This is a PC strategy -- don't know how Mac users create shortcuts.)

Does this answer your question?
PaulaO
Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Moving it into TB, opening file location, then right click drag to the folder where I wanted to keep the shortcuts.

On the one hand, using TB to organize them is cool. I click to each project and only see files for that project.

BUT, if I keep using the shortcut folder to access the files, how is that different from what I had been using?

Another question: if I put my files in TB, go to another computer, access my brain online, will those files be there? Or are they only stored locally?
Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Spell checkers aren't worth shirt.

Writers and editors have their own demon. Typo is his mane.
metta
Files are stored locally if you link to the files.
Files are stored in (and accessible from) the brain if you move the files into TheBrain.

You asked: "if I keep using the shortcut folder to access the files, how is that different from what I had been using?"
> Don't know what you were doing (using) previously, so I couldn't say....
shatcher
Files are stored locally whether they are internal or external. The difference is that internal are stored within the Brains/U01/... folder structure, and synced to the cloud, and are included in a Brain Archive. External attachments are the same as a desktop shortcut: they do not move the location, but just point to the file. They are not included in syncs, or in Backups.
edw

wrote:
Files are stored locally whether they are internal or external. The difference is that internal are stored within the Brains/U01/... folder structure, and synced to the cloud...

Can visitors download the file from the cloud?

Harlan
Yes, internal files can be downloaded from the cloud. External files are never sent to the cloud and so obviously cannot be downloaded from there either. :-p
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software