FransJehoul Show full post »
SamCox
I am unable to duplicate your problem with the comma syntax. After creating the "red", "green", and "blue" thoughts and linking the "red, green, blue" thought to each, the "1, 2, 3" thought displayed correctly (i.e., properly abbreviated) when viewed from the "1", "2", and "3" thoughts.

As an example of using this technique in practice, here is a shot of a brain with thoughts "NOR Flash", "NOR Flash, MirrorBit", and "NOR Flash, Toshiba drifts away". You can see that by typing "nor" in the quick search box, I immediately find all three, and by selecting the "NOR Flash" thought, the others are displayed with abbreviated, less-cluttered titles.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

Click image for larger version - Name: snap481.jpg, Views: 435, Size: 251.65 KB
unconnoisseur
I upgraded to the latest Java and 4.1.2.7 of pbrain, and it still occurs.

But, I have discovered the difference.  I work almost exclusive these days in Expanded View, and the behavior of which I spoke occurs there.  I see that all [we need a real name for this feature] comma tricks continue to work in Normal View, unlike in Expanded View.

I'm still not sure when I'd want to use this capability, however.

-bc

tcahill
unconnoisseur wrote:
I work almost exclusive these days in Expanded View, and the behavior of which I spoke occurs there.  I see that all [we need a real name for this feature] comma tricks continue to work in Normal View, unlike in Expanded View. I'm still not sure when I'd want to use this capability, however. -bc

When working in Expanded view, the comma trick remains specific to the active thought only. In the attached image, you can see that with thought 1 active, only it's children hide the full name. Non-active thoughts display comma children with their full names displayed.

Why might you want to do this? Well, the principle reason that I make use of this feature is to manage complexity or redundancy. When a thought starts to have too many child thoughts, I find it useful to create sub-thoughts, to better organize the information.

In the image attached, my example is that I've got the cel phone numbers of 3 thoughts. A quick search shows me the full identity so I can quickly see which one I'm looking for. When I'm working with thought one active, I don't see the information that would be redundant from that view. Click image for larger version - Name: comma_trick.png, Views: 387, Size: 36.22 KB
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
jostber
Another shortcut:

When you  have activated  Auto-Hide,  "F5" will  show notes for the active thought.

Shortcuts are cool, more of these please.

- Jostein
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
"F10"  activates the menu in the plex.

-  Jostein
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
zenrain
Resurrecting this thread to add some common menu shortcuts from the plex (windows and Linux only), and flesh out the original lists with some newer shortcuts.

Many thanks to FransJehoul, tcahill, and Dryopithecus, the original thread pioneers.

Plex

F2 = Rename thought
F3 = Set focus to plex
F4 = Search web
F5 = Set focus to notes window
F6 = Create child
F7 = Create parent
F8 = Create jump
F9 = Advanced search
Insert = Create child
Alt+Left Arrow - back (previous thought)
Alt+Right Arrow - forward (next thought)
Shift+Enter - open attachment / add attachment
Delete - forget Thought
Shift+Delete - delete Thought
Home - activate home Thought
Ctrl-Click - Add thought to selection (note: when performed in selection window, will also remove thought)
Shift-Click - Add thought to selection and any thought on path between clicked thought and active thought
Shift-Link - Link to new thought and remove all other links.

Outline View Only

Shift + Arrow Up - Move plex down
Shift + Arrow Down - Move plex up
Shift + Arrow Left - Move plex right
Shift + Arrow Right - Move plex left

Plex Scroll (Mousewheel) Functions

Normal View
Scroll over active thought = Increase or decrease font size
Scroll over thought list = Advances list of thought backwards or forwards (requires all thoughts to not be visible).

Expanded View
Scroll over active thought = Increase or decrease font size
Scroll over plex - increase/decrease space between thoughts in expanded view

Views
Alt + V +
  • N - Normal View
  • O - Outline View
  • E - Expanded View
  • X - Expand All
  • C - Collapse All
  • M - Presentation Mode
Thought Commands
Alt + T +
  • T - Set Thought Type
  • A- Add Attachment
  • F - Open Thought Folder
  • S - Open Properties & Attachments Window
Edit options
Alt + E +
  • U - Undo
  • R - Redo
  • T - Copy Thought
  • X - Copy as text
Selection Options
Alt + E + 
  • E - Add to selection
  • W - Crawl brain and modify selection
  • D - Delete selection
  • U - Unlink selection
  • C - Link as child
  • P - Link as Parent
  • J - Link as Jump
File Functions
Alt + F +
  • Z - Brainzip
  • O - Open brain
  • C - Close brain
  • U + S - Statistics
File Drop on thoughts
Drop =  create link to object
Ctrl + Drop =  copy object into brain
Shift + Ctrl + Drop = move object into brain
(note: move and link logic can be reversed in preferences)

Notes
Alt+L = Align Left
Alt+R = Align Right
Alt+O = Ordered List (toggle)
Alt+D = Decrease Indent
Alt+N = Increase Indent
Alt+T = Unordered List (this one seems hinky)
Alt+U = Underline (toggle)
Ctrl+U = Underline (toggle)
Alt+B = Bold  (toggle)
Ctrl+B = Bold  (toggle)
Alt+F = File (menu)
Alt+E = Edit (menu)
Alt+V = View (menu)
Alt+I = Insert (menu)
Alt+A = Table (menu)
Ctrl+C = Copy
Ctrl+V = Paste
Ctrl+X = Cut
Ctrl+A = Select All
Ctrl + Space = Remove Formatting

Reports
Shift + Ctrl + Left Click = Adds thought to selection without activating in the plex (ver. 5.5 and higher)

Edited: Added 5.5 behavior.
Edited: Added additional Ctrl-click behavior in selection Window.
Edited 2-24-09: Added Additional Note shortcut. Added scroll functions. Added Outline View shortcuts.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Steeph
Wouldn't it also be useful if you could show the thought right-click menu for the currently active thought by typing the properties key? Similar to Explorer and lots of other applications.

Right now you have to use the mouse to get to the right-click thought menu or use the plex menu shortcuts but then you have to know in which menu the command resides that you want to execute.

This would at least work for Win keyboard, don't know about Mac keyboards.
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
zenrain
Just a note that I will no longer be maintaining this list. You can visit the google group list at http://groups.google.com/group/personalbrain-users/web/keyboard-shortcuts for up to date Keyboard shortcuts.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software