Dryopithecus
The transparency of these icons should be adjustable in the Preferences.

(See also: Constantly show "Thought Icon" of active thought in the background)

Thanks!
Click image for larger version - Name: PB4.png, Views: 294, Size: 212.07 KB
Dryopithecus
dyslucksia, I've updated the title and illustration of my first post, so it could better describe my suggestion.

Quote:
Not using icons myself, I assume that clicking the icon activates the Thought itself, not its attachment?

As illustrated in the new image above, these large Thought Icons are displayed behind links and distant thoughts, and they should also be semi-transparent when implemented, so I think clicking on these icons should have no effect, or we could easily mistakenly activate wrong thoughts/links.

Quote:
How should PB display a Thought with a large icon, plus an attachment icon? Also, what should happen in the case of distant Thoughts?

I think this feature should have no effect on other features that already implemented. Distant Thought are not effected, it only add extra large Thought Icons in the background, to the first layer child/parent/jump/sibling thoughts.

Dryopithecus
Below is how it might looks like with different transparency settings.

The original pic is also attached at the end

Click image for larger version - Name: PB1.png, Views: 231, Size: 207.17 KB Click image for larger version - Name: PB2.png, Views: 231, Size: 212.07 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: PB3.png, Views: 230, Size: 225.45 KB Click image for larger version - Name: PB4.png, Views: 230, Size: 147.03 KB
Dryopithecus
dyslucksia wrote:
Imagine if the typical Thought body was a rectangular box (with visible/invisible borders) of instantly adjustable user-defined dimensions, and the gates could be on its edges just as they are now, only the whole box could encompass the thought name plus an icon, remembering both are of different sizes. If the user had control over whether the thought name appeared over or under the icon, the thought name text and background color, the font, boldface, etc., that would truly make the Plex a thing of beauty.

Representatives of the top Fortune 500 companies would be queuing around the block to lay down their dollars for it!

Great idea!!
jostber
This looks mighty nice! I suggest...go for it!

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
lotusone
Imagine this - you're planning a trip to the Bahamas, and instead of seeing the text "bahamas" (blah)... you see the beach whenever the thought is visible, and hear the waves crashing every time you select it?!

I also request that thoughts can be viewed visually.  And add that they have full multimedia capabilities, like using a movie, or adding both a sound clip and photo.

All recent research on learning has shown that activating as many senses as possible dramatically increases effectiveness.

In the vacation example above, we don't really want to see the text "Bahamas."  What we really want is to see a sandy beach, to getexcited and remind ourself why it's important i.e. to create an experience.  

p.s. Thanks for the super-cool software!  The two features that really stand out for me are:
1. Mac Mail, Address Book, etc. integration
2. The refocusing of the view as different thoughts are selected
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
bookeater
Excellent idea! I'd love to see being able to control transparency and size of icons in either active and rest of the thoughts in the plex.
dyslucksia
Being able to use an image (e.g. a beach in the Bahamas) as a clickable Thought icon is a big step in this direction. All you have to do is add as a file attachment an MP3 file (say, of some seagulls flying nearby, but not directly overhead) allied to some gentle surf, and clicking this icon will blow up the picture and trigger the sound file...
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
lotusone
Quote:
All you have to do is add as a file attachment an MP3 file and clicking this icon will blow up the picture and trigger the sound file...

It kind of works, but clicking on the icon (which confusingly blows up while I'm clicking on it - I wish I could manually select a static size for it) simply opens the mp3 in quicktime (on my other monitor), which I then have to manually play.  It's too cumbersome to do regularly - it interrupts my thought flow, which is the whole point of the brain!
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
lotusone
Let's all vote on this feature on uservoice!!!  I just linked to this discussion there.
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
dyslucksia
Being a Windows user, I'm unfamiliar with the Mac, but since PB doesn't have a built-in audio player or sandwich maker, the best it can do for a sound file is what it does with any file - open the file. The rest is up to the OS to select the default application and carry on from there (this is called the document-centric approach).

Therefore, if you can find a player application which can be set to (a) automatically play the file that's handed to it, and (b) hide in the background while it's playing the file, you should have this problem licked.

I'd like to vote on your suggestion, but I've tied up all my 10 votes. Thanks for the invitation anyway.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software