bmac
Is there a reason why there has been a noticeable slowdown in updates and bug fixes?  Should we worry that TheBrain organization may be experiencing some other issues which could have a bearing on the viability of this great software?

There are bug reports that must be approaching 6 months or so without resolution.  Versus past performance this is unusual and obviously disconcerting.

Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
Tracy
Hi bmac,
Thanks for writing us. No, definitely no reason to be concerned. We are very active in development of TheBrain. Many new things coming. Did you have a specific report(s) that you are looking for an update on? If so, please do reply and I will get you the latest status on it
Thanks!
Tracy

Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
bmac
Well, there are 3 that I have posted many months ago:
1.   Dragging an Outlook message into the Plex produces the contents of the message all in lower case and the notes area.
2.  Dragging an attachment  from an open Outlook message to the Plex or to the thought folder copies the entire message (as a .msg file) to TheBrain rather than just the attachment itself.
3.   TheBrain takes a considerable amount of time (for example, one minute) to open to become usable. These log file was submitted for this one as well and it was reported that the engineers were aware of this issue.

I think it would be a good idea to post somewhere in the forum and open bug list such that if people encounter a bug they first can check the open bug list before reporting it again and causing more work at your end. This would also give us assurance that progress is being made.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
pthompson
Bill,

All three issues you mentioned our engineers are fully aware of and are still working on resolutions for them as quickly as possible.
Dodo
Hi,
like bmac I had begun to worry about the seeming lack of progress and I would very much like to see some kind of "Known Issues" list. I've wasted hours and hours trying to narrow down problems - only to find out that  they were already known (and a fix promised, but not delivered).

Just one example: the matter of thought folders of deleted thoughts remaining
(known at least since Dec. 2009!) and, possibly related, images deleted from Notes remaining in thought folders (a security risk, known at least since June).

I know that zenrain is making a valiant effort to keep track of open issues in his User Knowledge Base (and many thanks for that!). But I still think there should be an official list with frequent status updates from the team at TheBrain.

Regards
Doris

GerSch
I´m very frustrated about the Outlook issues, too!! If your work is organized for about 90 % with TB and Outlook, it makes no fun to live with these issues. I have transformed over 100 Outlook-E-Mails to PDF-files and then saved in TB to get the content if I make a search. Week for week, month for month, I´m waiting for a solution. There is no one... :-(

This brings me to think if Outlook is the right programm working together with TB, but if I want to use the Google world (GMail...), I have a lot of other points, why it is not making fun to work with... :-(

@Tracy, I believe you are working hard on new things, but...? If I have a look on TheBrain Feature Suggestions I see "under review (1)", "planned (6)", "started (2)" and if I have a look under "TOP ideas" there are a lot of suggestions, some of them since years...! With hope I´m waiting for the next version... :-) :-)
bmac
Hate to keep pursuing this, but the [now] significant delay in fixing the many outstanding bugs and the and the seemingly halt to any updates suggests that development on TheBrain has stopped or at least slowed to a crawl.  Further,  I have not seen Harlan post in a long time which makes me wonder if he is still associated with the organization.

Can you provide some assurance that TheBrain is still an on-going organization?

Bill
Bill
pthompson
Bill,

I can assure you that we are working on bug fixes and updates and that Harlan is still a part of TheBrain Technologies, as it mentions on our website. Most of our fixes and focus as of late have been on our Cloud Services and mobile applications (which we are working on diligently to release as many people have requested) so updates for our desktop application may be a little slower during this time. We thank you for your continued support and patience.
enkidu
my 2 cents, as I am also beginning to scratch my head ...

CloudServices is all well & good, but TheBrain is first & foremost a personal productivity application.
I agree that, from a general marketing point of view, getting an iOS + Android version out is the topmost issue (although i am a user of neither).

I don't expect a bugfix a week (nor a bugfix a month). But an official product roadmap for us paying users would be welcome.

cheers
enkidu

bmac
it would be nice to have a smart phone application, but IMHO that should be on a priority basis 2nd to making sure that the desktop application is working as specified.
Bill
GerSch
TB is not just for fun, it is to organize my business life, to be productive. So it gives me not a good feeling to see that a lot of bugs are not fixed in about four month. TB should be a trusted system for me!! If I watched myself I´m looking for alternatives. Only the Dektop version has full functionality, working with WebBrain is no real option, a mobile App is not yet seen.

I believe you are working hard, but it seems that you are too small and have not enough developers to get this all done. Offline, online, Desktop, Web, iPad, Android, Windows Phone (?), Windows 8 RT, Windows 8. You are not the only company that become in trouble, but please talk with us, the loyal users. At this times I don´t want a software partner who is working behind the wall for 1 or 1 1/2 year and then comes with a new surprising version. Apple, Google and in the future Microsoft will give us more, smaller updates and bug fixes, so that the users can see they are really working on it. I meen it is a better way.
Wisermaniac
2 things lacking :
- a solved yes / no indicator in this forum so that we know when problems are solved
- a products features timeline so that we know what is coming next and on what.

Personaly I tested webrain which gonna be a huge feature, but i agree on the fact that solving problems in Personal Brain is #1 on top of my list of features !

I use Windows 8 64-bit, PB 64-bit crashed and since that day I can't make it work and this is a huge mess for me .. not havign a new release since July is a crazy thing compared to the quick product development cycles we get on other products.

As for products features ... a Windows Phone 8 release working on my Lumnia 920 would be really cool, so that i can also have access to PB when I'm travelling.

PB is te best product on the market, but wanting to make too many things at the same time seems to be killing product dev cycles ... though the normal cycle in the apps domain is getting down to 1 release per month ! ...

64-bit PB 7.0.4.5 july 27th
Sony VAIO VGN-Z4 / 8MB RAM / 1600x900 / HDD SSD 256 MB
French release of Windows 8 64-bit / IE10 64-bit / Office 2010 64-bit
GRSaunders
pthompson wrote:
Bill,<br /><br />All three issues you mentioned our engineers are fully aware of and are still working on resolutions for them as quickly as possible.

Patrick, we are now four months later and these issue persist for me. Have they been fixed? If not, when?

What are the specific operating systems and outlook versions that the software is thoroughly tested on and operates as advertised without issue or workarounds? Is there an official "supported versions" document posted somewhere?

When I ask as advertised and without issues or workarounds I am most specifically referring to the issues bmac clearly identified.

Thank you.
GRSaunders
TheBrain staff,

I have been using TheBrain software for over 4 years and have paid for every upgrade and even the WebBrain.  I have invested money, time and effort into this product and need to know what the future of the desktop version is so I can begin to transition from TheBrain if need be.

Please respond.

mcaton
Thank you for posting.  Development of TheBrain continues each and every day.  We're in the process of testing a new 7.1 beta (with many new fixes and features) in house right now.  No release date yet, but we hope to have it available soon.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software