kbunders
Got a day off, have some time to spare, thinking about checking in with TheBrain again.

1. In my browser I am reading an article that I'd like to add to TheBrain. Ah... there is a Brainbox browser plug in for that, lets us that! Annoyance: Why do I have to Log in to TheBrain every time I want to use the 'add to Brainbox' plugin in my Chrome browser? It really breaks my workflow. No other application I am using has this need (Notion, Evernote, Pocket, Todoist, Google Drive). Ok, go to Lastpass, find the password... type in the username, paste the password... etc. etc. 

2. Starting up TheBrain. Message: there is an update available, lets install that! Annoyance: The installer loops and loops and loops 'Updating TheBrain...', but nothing happens. Ok, go to task managers... kill the proces... etc. etc.

3. Finally lets try to do some gardening in my Brain... OH MY GOD! Annoyance: it is sooooo terribly slow on my secondary screen. Lets stop using TheBrain, this is so bad.

I must say, what is wrong with this development process, the team, the skills, the technology, the business, the ... what is it??

Koen
Dell XPS 13 9343 | Windows 10 1903 | TheBrain 10.0.50.0 Pro License 
Laptop screen resolution 3200x1800, scaling 175%
Secondary screen resolution 3840x2160, scaling 125% (set as main display)

iPhone 7 Plus | 256 GB | ios 12.3.1 | TheBrain 10.0.3.1
LuizAlfredo
???
L.A.G.M.
metta
@LuizAlfredo ~

You are not alone, Luiz. Each of the problems you've mentioned has been reported previously by other users, along with many other issues in both TB10 desktop and TB10 web client....

For this reason, I've only been using TB10 for testing, and I still rely on TB8 for my personal megabrain use. I am, however, hoping that, as development continues, many of the (as yet) unresolved bugs will (eventually) be resolved.

In the meantime, Ruud has offered some wise advice on dealing with these issues while we are waiting.....
mcaton
Koen,

1. You must be logged in so that TheBrain knows what account to send this file or link to.

2. Regarding the auto update. Our engineers are aware of this issue and looking into a solution. On Windows the auto download file goes to C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Temp\TheBrain\Updates

You can download, tell TheBrain not to install update. Close TheBrain application. Navigate to that folder, and run the installer manually.

3. If you'd like to send in a log file after experiencing some slowness/lag in TheBrain. Please replicate the issue and click on Help > Open Log Directory to locate the output.log file.  I do have a few suggestions for you.  Click on Options > Preferences and uncheck the options for 'Compact Window Title Bar' and 'Use ClearType to Render Text'  Turning these two features off could lighten up resources on a Windows machine and make your Brain run faster.

Koen, you've been posting a lot of negativity about our business, our product, our staff, etc. on the forums over the last few days.  We're happy to help you if you can provide some constructive feedback and work with us on troubleshooting your specific issues. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and these forums are here to provide users with open space for active discussion, ideas, learning and feedback. But posting insults and criticism on multiple different threads with no intent on continued troubleshooting benefits no one.

Thank you,
Matt 
danlandrum
You handled that well, Matt. There is nothing like TheBrain. Nothing. I'm among those that have complained from time to time about one thing or another, but my grumbling is based in passion for excellence, possibility, and a true appreciation for the unique environment this software creates for associative thinking. It still makes my real brain really happy every time I use TheBrain. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
enkidu
👍

Constructive criticism and venting critique lead in 2 very different directions, for sure.

cheers
enkidu
Xavier
I have always appreciated the transparency of the TheBrain team with this forum! That the team and users remain in this logic of continuous product improvement.
kbunders
mcaton wrote:
Koen,
Koen, you've been posting a lot of negativity about our business, our product, our staff, etc. on the forums over the last few days.  We're happy to help you if you can provide some constructive feedback and work with us on troubleshooting your specific issues. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and these forums are here to provide users with open space for active discussion, ideas, learning and feedback. But posting insults and criticism on multiple different threads with no intent on continued troubleshooting benefits no one.

Matt, I am sorry that you have felt that I have been insulting. Yes, I am negative about version 10 of the product and IMHO I have good reasons for it. To show you (again) that I try to be constructive I have recorded videos and send them to your support desk (Your request (#68662) has been received, and is being reviewed by our support staff. The videos show that **note taking is simply not possible**. I find that a bad thing for a note taking app.

I am not annoyed that there a bugs. Happy to report them. Happy to be patient. But, I have been reporting these things for a long time and it is not fixed nor acknowledged by your team that something is terribly wrong with this version. Instead, your team is sending out messages that this is the fastest and best version of TheBrain. Your software could potentially be exceptional, but IMHO this version 10 is the worst I have seen so far. Please watch my videos, I hope you can then see why I don't agree.

Dual monitor set up
Recording from screen 2
Screen 1: Resolution 3200x1800, scaling 100%
Screen 2: Resolution 3840x2160, scaling 125%

mcaton
Koen,

Received your videos and log files today - this puts us on the right track!  I already have some new feedback from the engineering team who is reviewing and I'll be in touch via the support ticket with the next troubleshooting steps.

Thank you for taking the time to help us troubleshoot this issue. I'm hopeful that we'll find your solution soon.

Matt 
BobBlum
Hi Koen...  great sympathy with your views and plight on TB10 for Windows Desktop.  (And I always appreciate Matt's diplomatic responses.)

Harlan made a huge gamble with his redesign of TB8 that led to TB9 and TB10  , that've only partially succeeded.  I'm guessing that the fixes you've requested (although crucial) are difficult and probably require a lot of further redesign and trade-offs.  (A number of us are watching this play out.  I've also submitted related support tickets.)

Thanks for your efforts,  Bob
kbunders
Thanks Matt, for the swift response! I've replied with new recordings and output log files of the tests you requested.

Thank you BobBlum, good to know I am not alone :-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software