kbunders
Hi,
I am sorry to report there is so much wrong with Thebrain software.
Using version 10.0.36.0 on Windows 10.
Dual monitor set up.
Screenrecording from my 2nd screen (3840x2160 resolution, 100% scaling).

In this video you see:
- No cursor when you click into the notes section
- Terrible scaling
- Terrible slow response of the GUI (like UNUSABLE!)
- Weird position of the input box when adding a thought
- No autofill behavior in the inputbox 

I could go on for a long while, for example there is so much wrong with the GUI and features of the notes editor. I can't belief how this version was released to be honest. Thebrain 8 was so much better.

Are there any serious plans for redoing this? Does Thebrain team acknowledges that this version of the software is NOT usable. I would appreciate an honest answer. Although it would be sad, I rather drop this software now if for whatever reason the software cannot be properly fixed or developed than to stay with it for a long while without knowing what to expect.

Looking forward to an honest response.

Best, Koen

PS. Video mailed to support@thebrain.com ((#68133

MacBook Pro 13" 2019 2.4 GHz 16GB
TheBrain 11.0.22.0 Pro License 
Secondary screen Dell 2715Q 27" Ultra HD 4K Monitor resolution 3840x2160
iPhone 7 Plus | 256 GB | ios 13 | TheBrain 10.0.7.1
Helwar
where‘s the video/screenrecording?
kbunders
This forum doesn't allow mp4 files to be uploaded. The video is here: (#68133
metta
@kbunders ~

Is there a way you could upload your video to another site that will be accessible to other brain forum users?

It would be very helpful if we (those of us who have been having problems with TB10) could see and compare notes about the issues you've illustrated in your video.

You wrote: "I could go on for a long while, for example there is so much wrong with the GUI and features of the notes editor. I can't belief how this version was released to be honest. Thebrain 8 was so much better. Are there any serious plans for redoing this?.... Although it would be sad, I rather drop this software now if for whatever reason the software cannot be properly fixed or developed than to stay with it for a long while without knowing what to expect."

To be honest, I felt the same way about the release of TB9 and, because there are still so many issues and missing features in TB10, I'm still only using TB10 for testing purposes, and I'm still using my megabrain in TB8. In addition, because of all the problems/limitations with the web client, I've abandoned plans to create any public/shared brain projects in the foreseeable future.

However, based on feedback I received from TB Support in an early February help desk ticket, my understanding is there are plans to do significant work on the note editor at some point, but there is "nothing to report yet as far as testing/release, etc."

Still holding out hope we'll see more bug fixes and improvements in the days ahead -- and, in the meantime, Ruud recently offered some very good advice for dealing with our disappointments.
bmac
It certainly would be nice as well to bring back the drag-and-drop From Outlook emails as in TB8. If there was a way to convert a TB10 brain tback to TB8, I certainly would consider it. I always keep hoping. In addition, it would be nice if there was a way to completely eliminate all entries in the calendar/timeline.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
metta
Dragdrop from Outlook has been confirmed on several occasions as a feature request, but it has been difficult for TB team to implement. In light of this, here are a few work-arounds in case they might be helpful:
> Outlook work-arounds
> Import Outlook Contacts using BrainBox

As for migrating back into TB8 from TB9 or TB10, unfortunately this is not possible because neither of the new platforms is backwardly compatible with TB8.

+1 for eliminating all timeline entries at once.
BobBlum
I couldn't resist trying kbunders experiment, since one of my laptops is also a DELL XPS 13 inch connected to an external monitor.  The DELL is running Win10 Home.  External monitor is an old 17 inch Sony monitor.  This is with TB 10.0.36  ....

Laptop-Second-Screen-Brain.jpg 

Experiment 1:  I open TheBrain initially on the 13 inch laptop screen and then slide it to the 17 inch monitor.  See the above... the note fails to enlarge.  (I was able to edit the content on both screens.)

Experiment 2:  I open TheBrain initially on the 17 inch monitor and then drag it to the 13 inch laptop screen.  (not shown).  The note  also fails to resize (ie it does not shrink to fit the 13 inch monitor)  Also, on the 17 inch monitor, TheBrain cannot detect mousing into the search bar either with clciking or with the control S shortcut.

General Comments:  (to kbunders)  My guess is that the engineers, headed by Harlan,  are aware of these problems with notes (so I have not submitted a support ticket for the above;  I think yours will suffice.)  Because of these problems, I've stayed away from Brain 9 and 10 until two weeks ago;  I just started using TB10 with frequent backups.

Their emphasis has been on cross-platform capability (desktop to cellphone, eg.)  They went to html based notes (from rtf-like notes) which we all loved in TB8.  I'm guessing that most of the content creators like Metta and I, who work on desktops, are frustrated by the flakiness of the notes editor relative to old, reliable TB8.  (Don't even try the Preview function in notes; it's badly broken.)  

I share Metta's hope that the team will fix these problems, although I'm guessing the problems are difficult.

Best wishes, Bob  (Brain user for 13 years.)
kbunders
Weird, I couldn't reproduce my findings today. I have no idea why TheBrain is showing these different behaviors.
bmac
metta wrote:
Dragdrop from Outlook has been confirmed on several occasions as a feature request, but it has been difficult for TB team to implement. In light of this, here are a few work-arounds in case they might be helpful:
> Outlook work-arounds
> Import Outlook Contacts using BrainBox

+1 for eliminating all timeline entries at once.

Thanks Metta. The easiest workaround is to simply drag the Outlook email to your desktop and then drag it into the Plex. However, In TB 8, dragging the email directly to the Plex from the inbox would also insert a text copy of the Email in the notes section, which I always found to be quite handy.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
metta
@bmac ~ Understood and agreed

@BobBlum ~ Thanks for sharing your findings. It is always helpful to compare notes.

@kbunders ~ Thanks for your additional feedback. I suspect the unpredictability of these types of glitches might be part of why some of them have been so difficult to resolve.
rengel
kbunders wrote:
This forum doesn't allow mp4 files to be uploaded. The video is here: (#68133

Put your video in a zip file. Then you can upload it.
Reinhard, TB 10.0.53.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
bmac
I realize the delay in implementing the TB 8 Outlook drag-and-drop, according to TB customer service, is that Microsoft no longer supports or eliminated an API that was previously used to accomplish this. However, there is a little startup company called Outlook2Web, https://outlook2web.com/, that has accomplished this and it actually works in dragging Outlook items (messages, contacts, calendar items etc.) from Outlook directly to TB10 Plex.  Full disclosure: you can try the demo  Free for 6 days but  then it will require activation at the cost of $39.

So, apparently there is some technology out there that works with the brain. The only minor shortcoming is that the Drag & Drop in TB 8 also copied the text of the email message into the notes field. I bet some smart programmer who can emulate the Outlook 2 web Technology may also be able to first capture the body of the message to also transfer the text into the notes field.
Bill
BobBlum
Also, please see my just posted complaint about the slow, herky/jerky performance of TB10  (relative to TB8)
mcaton

Koen,

A lot of different side topics being discussed in this thread, but to roll back to the original post... we are aware of issues with pop up windows sometimes being misplaced in some dual monitor scenarios.  This is typically due to one monitor being scaled beyond 100%.  You mentioned that monitor number 2 was 100%... but what is the setting for monitor #1? You also mentioned a few days after the original post that the issues could not be replicated.  Is it possible you adjusted your scale setting?

Thank you,
Matt

kbunders
video here 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software