Dictatorfish
Hello all,

Firstly, as this is my first post, I'd just like to say that this is one of - if not the - most useful software I have ever come across.  I currently use it as my digital memory for everything, since the one I was issued with during fetal development is clearly faulty (unfortunately I didn't realise this until I started using it about 8-9 months after and by then the warranty had long expired).  Instant activate is an absolute Godsend!

To the main subject of this topic: "remove icon" doesn't appear to be working.  I'm using PersonalBrain 5.0.3.3 with Indexing Libraries, J_1.6.0_13 under Windows XP SP3.  It's not a huge matter, but I'm nit-picky and anything to help resolve this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
SamCox
Hello Dictatorfish,

Welcome to PersonalBrain and to the Forum.

Can you be more specific? Does "Remove Icon" appear gray in the Properites & Attachments Display menu? If that is so and the thought has an icon, the icon may be associated with the thought's type instead of the thought itself, or with a URL.

To remove an icon from a type, you'll have to edit the type.

I don't think you can remove an icon from a URL without removing the URL.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

Dictatorfish
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.  I wouldn't know any terminology for the software, so I'll just go through what I do:
  • I have Thought ABC down as a Type XYZ
  • I have assigned Icon 123.jpg to Type XYZ
  • I now wish to remove Icon 123.jpg
  • I select Though ABC and enter "Properties & Attachments"
  • I click "Type" and then "Edit Type"
  • In the window for Type XYZ, I select "Display" then "Remove Icon"
  • Nothing happens and "Remove Icon" remains selectable
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again in advance.
SamCox
I think you've all the right steps in the right order; they work for me! (I'm running PersonalBrain 5.0.2.8 on Windows XP.)

While editing Type XYZ, try clicking the little folder icon to the right of the "Add Attachment" button. Clicking that icon opens the folder associated with the type, and in that folder will (or should be) a single graphic file named TheBrainIcon.png. You can manually delete that file to remove the icon.

But ... you shouldn't have to do that.

-- Sam

Darkstar
Sorry DictatorFish, I couldn't replicate your issue. I'm running 5.0.3.6 with Indexing Libraries on Windows.

What kind of picture are you using for your icon?

Have you ALSO assigned that picture as an icon to your Thought ABC? Individual thoughts, even when typed, can have their own assigned icons. If you assigned the same picture to the thought and then to the type, when you clear the type, it wouldn't clear that thought's icon, because it has its own setting.
-Darkstar
Dictatorfish
@ SamCox: The folder is completely empty (no hidden files, either).  :/

@ Darkstar: There is no icon assigned to the thought itself, just to the type.  I have a number of thoughts assigned to the type and all the thoughts under this type are displaying the unremoveable icon.  The icon is a 24 x 24 GIF file.

Also, new information: I've just tested a few things out and I can now state that I cannot remove any thought icons at all, be they assigned to types or individual thoughts.  Any ideas?
SamCox
How did this icon become associated with Type XYZ?

Normally, when you Paste Thought Icon from the clipboard to a thought or a type, the image is converted to PNG format and renamed TheBrainIcon.png. If you drag a GIF file into a type's folder, the filetype is retained and the image is displayed but the Remove Icon menu choice is grayed out.

To investigate, create a new "test" brain. In that brain, create a thought, paste a thought icon, and inspect the thought's folder to see if an image named TheBrainIcon.png is present. Then see if Remove Icon works in the new brain. If Remove Icon works properly, something's wrong with the other brain. If it doesn't something's wrong with your PB installation.

It's odd — very odd — that a type's icon is displayed but that the icon is not in the type's folder.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful. Perhaps Moe or Matt — TheBrain's representatives on this forum — can help.

-- Sam

Dictatorfish
I copied the image file, went into PersonalBrain and into the Type properties, selected "Display" and finally "Paste Thought Icon".  That worked all okay and expected - all the Thoughts under Type XYZ displayed the Icon 123 correctly.

Anyway, the work around's perfect: I have no idea why it didn't occur to me from the start, but I kept looking in the folder of the affect Thoughts themselves.  I re-read your (SamCox's) message, looked in the Type's folder and deleted the stubborn image file.  Success!

Thank you SamCox and Darkstar for responding so quickly.  Excellent stuff.  With such quick response for fellow users, one could mistake this for an open source product (and that's a good thing!). 
SamCox
Excellent!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software