danlandrum
I'm trying to paste the following text as a child thought under a thought named 2017:

,.01 january;,.02 february;,.03 march;,.04 april;,.05 may;,.06 june;,.07 july;,.08 august;,.09 september;,.010 october;,.011 november;,.012 december

I've also tried:

,.01 january;,.02 february;,.03 march;,.04 april;,.05 may;,.06 june;,.07 july;,.08 august;,.09 september;,.10 october;,.11 november;,.12 december

The expectation is that I'd get the 12 months sorted in order. Instead, both methods produce January followed by October, then November. It is great to see that the comma trick can be combined with the dot trick successfully. The inability to sort more than nine numbers is a bug, right?

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
Seems to work fine for me. I think it may not be working correctly for you because you are also preceding it with a comma, so it's using the comma trick to add 2017 at the beginning. Since then the beginning of the thought name is not ".[0-9][0-9] *" then it isn't treating it as having the sort order. 

I used the following:

.1 Z
.10 Q
.11 P
.12 O
.13 N
.2 Y
.3 X
.4 W
.5 V
.6 U
.7 T
.8 S
.9 R

And got:

Order.png
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
zenrain
Never mind. When I tried your example it does hide the .01, so the assumption would be it would correctly sort also. 

So the issue is that custom sort doesn't work when using context sensitive naming and .01 is after the comma. 

Workaround, custom sort will work correctly when number > 10 if you put the [.01] at the beginning of the thought name.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum
Correct, Zenrain. At first, I thought that would be a problem when searching for a month name where multiple instances of the same word (January) appear as children of thoughts with year names (2016, 2017). Fortunately, TheBrain takes care of this in the search field when there are duplicate names by indicating the parent thought. Searching for January returns "January < 2016," and "January < 2017." Brilliant.

As an aside, the inability to hierarchically display the paths of duplicate names strikes at the heart of my major frustration with OmniFocus for task management, and TheBrain's superiority. I have projects that repeat quarterly that require items to go in bins that should always be named the same. The delineation of each bin (thought) comes from the parent thought names (Project or Folder names in OmniFocus terms). OmniFocus hides those paths iOS apps. This means clicking back up stream when creating new tasks just to be sure I'm working under the correct parent. This is yet another area where TheBrain shines in letting me quickly see where I am in my data. I think TheBrain focuses much better than OmniFocus focuses. :-)
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software