Heartsbane
I have a pretty large brain that I'm trying to split into two different brains -- one to run on my 500GB portable USB hard drive and the other to run on a 16GB USB flash drive.

So far I've made a copy of the brain then deleted the pieces I didn't want from each brain. I then clicked on Options > Show Forgotten Thoughts and selected them all and clicked Delete. I was under the impression that this would permanently delete the thoughts and their associated folders containing attachments/notes/etc. However, after the deletion both brain folders still contain all the folders for the forgotten/deleted thoughts.

I'm trying to get rid of these and only leave the folders of active thoughts in each brain. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!

Dryopithecus
Hi,

I think the folders of deleted thoughts won't be included in BrainZip. So please try the following steps for each brain:
1. File > Create BrainZip;
2. Remove the old brain;
3. Restore the brainzip;
Heartsbane
I tried this but it didn't work. After trying this with the smaller brain (only about 50 thoughts), the restored brainzip folder (I restored it to a completely different drive/folder) still had the same number of folders/files as the full brain I'm trying to split it from.

Is there seriously no way for PersonalBrain to look for unused folders/files (because they belong to permanently deleted thoughts) and remove them? So folders/files from thoughts that have been forgotten then permanently deleted are never actually deleted from the brain folder on the hard disk?

Frustrating...
FransJehoul
Good morning,

I use an other solution.
  • My (i have just one brain of +/- 16 Gbyte) brain resides on a portable USB disk.
  • One license of PB resides on my desktop.
  • One license of PB resides on my USB-stick
When i'm not on my desktop i run PB from my USB-stick and use my brain on my portable USB disk and this works fine.

Everything is in one single brain. No switching, no starting two or more brains, no double or more of the same thoughts in those brains etc etc etc.

Regards,

Frans
Dryopithecus
Heartsbane wrote:
I tried this but it didn't work. After trying this with the smaller brain (only about 50 thoughts), the restored brainzip folder (I restored it to a completely different drive/folder) still had the same number of folders/files as the full brain I'm trying to split it from.

Is there seriously no way for PersonalBrain to look for unused folders/files (because they belong to permanently deleted thoughts) and remove them? So folders/files from thoughts that have been forgotten then permanently deleted are never actually deleted from the brain folder on the hard disk?

Frustrating...

Sorry my mistake. Brainzip just removes empty folders in the _brain\Files folder.

I thought after you deleted thoughts, the associated files were removed, left empty thought folders in the _brain\Files folder. But from your description, it seems the associated files were not removed either, this could be caused by a bug, you might want to post this issue in the PersonalBrain Issues section of this forum.
Heartsbane
Hmmm - so I guess at this point the only way to effectively split a brain into two without having extra files/folders left in each brain is to manually identify and delete the unused folders/files. I'll report it as an issue -- not having any way to identify and delete unused folders/files from permanently removed thoughts seems like a big oversight in functionality.

Frans, what you are describing won't work in my case. My brain is more like 400GB (I have a lot of DVD/CD iso files and other large files) but I want to split off a small piece of it to keep on a USB flash drive. So I need 2 brains...
Harlan
When a thought is deleted it's files and folder should also be deleted. If this is not happening for you there is something wrong. FYI an easier ay to do this is to just copy and paste out the thoughts you want into a new brain.
Regards,
-Harlan
Heartsbane
OK, I figured out why the folders/files weren't being deleted. I had deleted the top parent node of the branch I wanted to delete, but I didn't realize that PersonalBrain kept all the child nodes (even though they were no longer linked to anything). I was able to use the Edit > Crawl Brain and Modify Selection option to select all child nodes I didn't want and then forget/delete them and then the folders/files were removed.

Thanks!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software