pthompson

STOP SEARCHING. START FINDING.
Using Your Brain for File Management.

This Web event focuses specifically on how you can integrate, manage and 
create files with your Brain to gain instant access to everything you need so 
you can stop searching and start seeing the right information. 

IvanPsy
Thank you I'll have a look ASAP!
Just a question: what if a folder changes?
i.e.: I move a file, or I modify a document...
Do TheBrain detect the change, or am I supposed to do it manually?
Brigitte

When adding attachments to your Brain, the default behavior is to simply add a shortcut to the attachment and display the path located on your machine. If the original item is moved or deleted, it will no longer be accessible from your Brain, unless you change the path in Brain as well.

If you want to have access to any attachments via TheBrain Cloud or another machine after syncing, you need to store your attachments internally.

You can make this the default behavior by navigating to (Options > Preferences > UI) and make sure the option 'On drag and drop of files) is set to "Move dropped files".

If you don't want this to be the default behavior, you can also achieve this by pressing CTRL+Drag & Drop (on a PC) or OPT+Drag & Drop (on a Mac). This will keep your file in its original location, but also save an internal copy in your Brain database.

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies

IvanPsy
Thank you Brigitte!
So I can get rid of my HD and put all into the brain and I'll have all this structure synced via cloud?
Even on an Android via the WebBrain?
A bit extreme, yet worth considering...
ShelleyHayduk
Yes you can sync all your files and use TheBrain cloud as a backup and to access across all devices. Just make sure, as you discussed with Brigitte, you are storing your files internally.  Cheers.
Shelley
IvanPsy
Thank you Shelley: storing all the files in the cloud is greeat, but how much storage space do I have?
In a part of the site there is written we have unlimited space, in another just 20Gb.
I'm a bit confused...
ShelleyHayduk
Good Question. The 20 GB is just for your file attachments. This means you have an unlimited number of space for Thoughts, links, Tags and Types.

The limitation for files is really to ensure that people are not using the cloud as a video hosting service etc. We can even accommodate Brains with a little more than that if you write in. But in general most of our users find this to be plenty of space for their Brains.

Also keep in mind this file limitation is only for hosting, on your desktop of course, your Brain can be as big as your hard drive allows with as many files and videos in it as you like.

And conversely, if you publish your Brain online publicly with no file attachments, like many students and teachers, its free.   For instance Jerry's Brain that has over 200,000 Thoughts, they all link to online resources. It's actually a great example of what you can do with the product for free. His Brain though ginormous doesn't contain files and he shares it publicly. 
Shelley
IvanPsy
Thank you for your reply: this is a great reply! :-)
Can you please share the link to the brain you just mentioned in order to have a look at the possibilities?
It's a public brain, is it?
Tracy
Hi IvanPsy,
Jerry's Brain which Shelley references in her post can be viewed at: https://webbrain.com/u/100l
Enjoy! 
Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
IvanPsy
Nice! A good sample!

The more I was navigating through the Brain, the more I wanted to navigated: there's something hypnotic: worth considering.

The tools used give a realtime nature to the Brains, so you can always add thought...and let people know about it.

Thank you for all the infos!
Tracy
Hi IvanPsy
Thanks for the reply! I am glad you enjoyed Jerry's Brain! Yes, that Brain inspires me daily!! [smile]
Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software